(TSM 5) Beautiful Boy

Splinter:)

~~~~~~~

Close your eyes

Michelangelo whined in his bed, a small gurgling baby, burdened by his mutation. He tossed and turned in his sleep, sniffling gently when his hand hit his brother's leg. Raphael groaned and curled up closer to his little brother, who calmed slightly, before whining once more.

Have no fear

Splinter reached down and gently picked up his smallest son, who whimpered from the contact. He brought Mikey to his chest, smoothing one furry paw up and down his shell, humming softly.

The monster's gone

Michelangelo clutched his kimono, and snuggled deeper into Splinter, the fear and worry etching out of his face like fog.

His little face was smooshed against his dad's chest and the rat chuckled, pausing his song.

He's on the run and your daddy's here

He resumed his singing, walking around the dojo gently and bouncing Mikey slightly in his arms.

And when Splinter made a move to put him back with his brother's, he was met with a surprise when he was unable to move back.

Mikey had not let go of his hand.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

A small but erratic four year old, new to the world and excited for every little thing.

Beautiful boy

Bouncing in impatience, laughing along with his brothers.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

Teasing and playing, prank after prank. A smile so bright and colourful.

Beautiful boy

Learning how to cook, a fond memory of burnt algae and grimy worms.

"Before you go to sleep"

Splinter instructed his four sons, face gentle but strict as he gazed down at his 10 year olds. Faces bright with youth and expressions focused.

"Say a little prayer"

They all scrambled to the beds, smiles adorning their faces when Splinter started his one-of-many stories. Mikey laughed along when Splinter made funny voices for the characters, but he was the first one to fall asleep, every time.

Every day in every way

And when Splinter tucked them in, placing a kiss on each of their brows and making sure they were comfortable, he turned away, but stopped all of a sudden.

It's getting better and better

Because Mikey had not let go of his hand.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

A strong, growing 10 year old, full of love to share and a hand always ready to help.

Beautiful boy

Mischievous blue eyes, and a glowing smile, radiating the orange in his mask.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

One of Splinter's most precious claims.

Beautiful boy

Splinter's loving boy.

Out on the ocean

Their first time top-side was a miraculous change in their lives. More adventures to obtain, more enemies to make, more battles to win and more prone to injuries.

Splinter didn't know when he got so strict. He didn't realise until too late.

Sailing away

Michelangelo fumbled during training, he was lazy, uncaring and lax. He was insufficient and he was getting worse every passing day.

Now, Splinter was a skilled and trained ninjutsu master. He was an amazing fighter, and he was the best at meditating. These factors made it so that he knew when something was wrong with one of his sons.

But for some reason, he was blind when it came to his youngest.

I can hardly wait

Splinter never had had a fight with Mikey, because he was always making his father happy, rather than disappointed.

To see you come of age

But the more he grew up, the more Splinter found himself giving his frowns, rather than smiles.

But I guess we'll both just have to be patient

Why didn't he help him, rather than bring his spirit lower? Something so fragile and so unique, crushed under the soul of Splinter's feet.

'Cause it's a long way to go

How could Mikey forgive him?

A hard row to hoe

After what Splinter did?

Yes it's a long way to go

After what he said?

But in the meantime

He loved Karai, of course he did, she was his daughter!

Before you cross the street

But he would never, ever swap Mikey for her.

Take my hand

Because Michelangelo was his child. His baby boy.

Life is what happens to you

His youngest son.

While you're busy making other plans

His beautiful boy.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

Hard, sad lines in his eyes, burdened from the strain of being the youngest, the weakest link, the expendable one.

Beautiful boy

Fail after fail, insult after insult until his shoulders sag, not able to bear the weight.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

Smiles that aren't genuine. Fake remarks of 'I'm fine, Sensei.'

Never papa, only 'sensei.'

Beautiful boy

Flinches whenever anyone grew near. A wall of anxiety. Not knowing whether the hand reaching him was for assistance or to create harm.

Before you go to sleep

The night was sweaty and uncomfortable, as Splinter meditated in his room, an effort to bring peace to his son's mind as they travelled.

Say a little prayer

He thought of his son, how he was doing.

Every day in every way

He heard the pitter patter of his son's feet as they travelled rooftop after rooftop, heard the swish of their weapons, heard the frantic yells and cries of someone he thought he knew.

It's getting better and better

He wished peace for his son's, for his daughter, for their companions, for his brother.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

For his Michelangelo.

Beautiful boy

His beautiful boy.