Chapter Twenty

Legolas

        I walk down the hallways, wringing my hands nervously. What am I going to say to her? Is it strange for me to just show up at her door without an invitation? I want to see her, and I am almost there. I cannot just back out now, despite how much I am tempted to do so. I do not want to embarrass myself by stuttering or saying anything stupid, but I want to see her so badly. After the vision I had last night, I cannot think of anything else but her.

        I stop in front of her door and just stare at it for a moment. What if she is still sleeping? Guilt courses through my veins. I cannot wake her! That would be rude and inconsiderate; after all, I have nothing important to say to her. I do not even know what I am going to say when she opens the door.

        I sigh and raise my hand, hesitantly knocking on her door. If she does not answer then she is still asleep, and I will just come back later.

        "Just a moment," comes her soft voice floating through the door.

        My heart picks up speed as I hear her footsteps approaching the door. My mouth feels dry, and I can barely swallow down my nervousness. I breathe deeply, trying to calm myself down. Do not do anything stupid. You are a prince. Act like it.

        The door opens, and I swallow thickly, trying not to let my gaze wander in an ungentlemanly fashion. Eilonwy smiles tiredly at me. Her hair is draped loosely over her right shoulder in tousled, fiery waves. Her eyes are a darker green than they usually are, the way that they look in my visions when she is tired. What draws my attention, though, is the white nightgown that adorns her body. The nightgown is short, stopping a little bit above the middle of her thighs. It's straps are small, smaller than the reins on my horse which is something I have never seen an elleth wear in my entire life. I have never seen a lady wearing such little clothing. Well, I have seen in my visions Eilonwy wearing a lot less than this, but never in reality. Reality proves to be much more overwhelming.

        I cough awkwardly and turn my back on her immediately, feeling heat enter my cheeks.

        "Legolas," she says from behind me, "What is wrong?"

        I close my eyes, trying to control my thoughts that are running wild in my cluttered mind. "I think it would be best if you put on your night robe."

        "What do you mean?" she asks in alarm.

        "Just, please, do as I ask," I tell her quietly, trying to get the image of her slender legs out of my mind.     

        "Oh," she says hesitantly, "Well, I will just change quickly. You can wait in here if you want."

        I shake my head vigorously. "I will wait here," I state firmly, wanting nothing more than to flee before I do something that I will regret. I feel guilty thinking of her in an ungentlemanly way, but I cannot help it. She is so tempting!

        "Okay," she replies, and I hear her walk back into her room.

        I sigh in relief, feeling a bit better now that I cannot feel her hovering behind me. I wait outside of her door for a few minutes, and when she appears at her door once again dressed in a tunic and pants instead of a dress, I am composed once again.

        "I am sorry," I tell her immediately as she leads me into her room, "It is very improper in Middle Earth to see a lady dressed in such little clothing unless you are married to her."