Chapter Forty four

__________

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. -Romans 8:38

__________

A knock at the door startles me from my thoughts. I turn to see Arwen opening it, and I am surprised to see a very weary looking Elladan stepping inside. His eyes are heavy, faint lines of dark circles tainting the skin beneath them. His dark hair is disheveled, and his skin looks sickly pale. He looks as if he might pass out at any moment.

"Are you alright? No one is hurt?" he asks, and even his voice sounds like it might go at any moment.

"Everyone is fine," Arwen replies confusedly, "What are you doing out of bed, Elladan? You look like you might fall over dead." She takes his arm, leading him to sit in the chair beside me.

His silver eyes land on me, drowning me in their depths of worry. "Eilonwy, how are you feeling?" he breathes.

I laugh lightly. "I am perfectly fine. You are the one we need to be worrying about. How are you?" I ask him.

He sighs, his gaze shifting over to his nieces as they sleep curled up on the rug. "I do not feel well enough to be walking around, but Ada told me to come and get you all."

"Wait, did you fight?" I ask him with wide eyes.

He chuckles lowly. "Oh, no. I actually slept through it all. Luckily none of those elves found their way to the healing rooms, or I would have been killed. Ada had given me a sleeping draught, so I was knocked out cold," he responds as if the situation was highly amusing, "But there is no need to worry. Those elves are destroyed."

"Do you know how terrifying that is? If something were to happen to you I would never forgive myself," I tell him, but he just smiles, "And what do you mean? How are they all destroyed?"

"My grandmother... tapped into her powers. That is the best way I can put it," he says, grinning wearily, "The shadow elves did not stand a chance against her magic."

I wear a matching grin, wondering what it would have been like to see Galadriel in action. 'Tis also relieving to know that the dark elves are dead.

Arwen looks between us for a moment before speaking up. "Well, shall we get going?"

We both nod, watching as Arwen goes to wake her children. Elladan turns to me. "Thank you for saving my life," he says seriously, gazing into my eyes, "I would not have survived without your help."

"There is no need to thank me. I will always help when I can," I reply, giving him a small smile in which he returns.

I stare at him for a moment, wondering whether I should ask my next question or not. "Is... is Legolas safe?" I ask him quietly, dreading the answer.

He nods. "He is perfectly fine."

I sigh, a giant wave of relief washing over me. "I am so glad," I breathe, "I was so worried."

Elladan embraces me, seeing the distress written clearly across my face. "Everyone is safe, Eilonwy," he whispers, rubbing my arms comfortingly, and I allow myself to sink into his arms. Embracing him is so new, yet so sweet. He smells like tea, strangely, and I conclude that it must be from all the herbal teas shoved down his throat since our attack. Yet, he smells like old parchment, too, the kind of lovely smell that hits you when you step into a library. 'Tis reassuring and calming.

"Lady Eilonwy, are we going to be safe now?"

I pull away from 'Dan, looking down at Estrith's innocent face. She rubs her eyes sleepily, blinking up at me with her long, pretty eyelashes. I crouch in front of her and tuck an unruly curl behind her ear. "I will keep you safe no matter what happens," I promise her, searching her bright blue eyes.