Chapter Five

Only one word- just one word from the millions of vocabulary terms we have back on earth- can properly describe Lothlorien. Enchanting. The trees of Lorien are thick and tall, seeming to reach all the way up to the now darkening sky and touch the stars that have begun to shine. These aren’t just any ole trees, either. They are what I remember to be called Mallorn trees. Each has silver bark that seems to glow faintly in the darkness of the night and ethereal golden leaves that cover the top of the forest like an angelic golden canopy. Several intricately made stairways weave up into the trees from their starting points on the forest ground. Many elves, each as beautiful and fascinating as the first ones I saw, pass by Lady Galadriel, Haldir, and I. Their eyes scrutinize me with curiosity and wonder, and they each pause for a moment and stare confusedly before continuing on their way. My cheeks flush scarlet in embarrassment. I hate being the center of attention.

    Lady Galadriel turns to me and gives me a reassuring smile as I continue to follow her to who-knows-where. I give her a small smile back, barely a twitch of my lips. Anxiety overwhelms me because of the many stares, and I wish that I could just turn into a shadow and pass unseen through the trees. I’m sure I look very out of place despite my new elven body. After all, the other female elves are wearing long, grand dresses that flow behind them as they walk; whereas, I woke up in the forest in a silky tunic, pants that fit me snugly like leggings, and soft-soled boots. I woke up in Middle Earth; the least someone could do is give me some decent clothes. Or some instructions on what to do.

    Galadriel leads me to a set of stairs and stops suddenly, turning to look at me with her piercing gaze. Her eyes flick from me to Haldir after a moment before she says, “Haldir, please inform Arneth that her presence is needed immediately.” Haldir bows, and with one last fleeting glance at me, he hurries away to carry out her orders.

    After he is out of sight, I let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding. Haldir is very, very intimidating. I turn to look at Galadriel in confusion when she laughs lightly. “You seem relieved that the captain of the guard is gone,” she observes. Her smile is brilliant as she continues to laugh lightly, and her eyes crinkle up in amusement as she gazes at me.

'    I smile sheepishly. “Yes, my lady,” I say to her before whispering lowly, “Honestly, I am sure his eyes could cut through stone.”

    Her laugh becomes slightly louder at my observation, yet it stays very low still. I wonder if elves only ever use their ‘inside voices.’

    Once her laughter dies down some, she answers me. “Yes, I have thought that many times myself. Haldir may seem cold and distant to begin with, but he is very kind and caring under his facade of indifference,” her expression then becomes thoughtful as she studies me with a small, knowing smile, “I am sure you will both become close friends.”

    I smile and nod, but in my mind, I am not so sure. I do not think Haldir is the type of person who would want to befriend me. He seems very hostile, and from our earlier encounter, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t like me. After all, he would not have hesitated to kill me had Galadriel not shown up.

    “Lady Galadriel, Haldir said that you called for me,” a shy voice suddenly says from behind me. I turn and see a female elf standing there, staring expectantly up at Galadriel. Her hair is braided back away from her face, small wisps of her chocolate colored hair falling into her face. She looks to be about twelve or thirteen years old, but her pointed ears remind me that she is probably hundreds of years older than me. She stands about two heads smaller than me in height, and she has her hands clasped nervously in front of her as she waits for Galadriel to say something. I notice immediately that her dress is not as fancy or elaborate as the ones of the other elleth I have seen, and I assume she must be a servant. The dress is much nicer than anything I have ever seen, but it lacks the decorations that I’ve seen on others. The pale blue color of the fabric suits her pale, glossy skin perfectly.