Chapter thirty one

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.. -Ephesians 5:15-16

__________

Legolas

I run my fingers down the skin of her arm, kissing her neck softly. We stand on the balcony that is attached to our room, overlooking Mirkwood forest as our people begin to awaken and start their day. The sun shines down upon us softly, and the brilliantly green leaves rustle in the wind from their places in the trees. The day is peaceful, serene, and I wish I could stay in this moment forever.

"I am tired," Eilonwy says quietly, leaning back into my embrace and closing her eyes.

I wrap my arms around her tightly as a soft breeze blows up to the balcony. "You stayed up too late last night. I told you to get some rest," I tell her with a fond smile as I remember her sitting at my desk, her eyes drooping tiredly as she attempted to write a letter to Arwen. I left to bring supper up to our room, and when I came back, she was asleep, slumped upon the wooden desk limply. After waking her up, she finally agreed that it was time for bed.

I bite back a laugh as I remember the ink from her letter smeared across her cheek.

"Hmm," she hums, "Hush, my husband."

I chuckle softly and kiss her shoulder, relishing in the feeling of holding her close. Her natural flowery scent calms me as I hold her close, and I kiss her shoulder once again, knowing that she loves it when I do so. I close my eyes, wondering when to tell Eilonwy the news. I have to leave for Rivendell in two days time, and I still have yet to tell her. Parting from her is always so difficult, but I know I must inform her eventually.

"Go back to bed, Eilonwy," I tell her sternly, taking her hand and turning her toward me, "You need rest."

She stares at me, her bleary eyes searching mine. Her lips are pulled down slightly, and my heart aches to see her smile. "I do not wish to," she whispers, "Elrohir told me that you are leaving for Rivendell with him in two days. I do not want to waste the little bit of time we have together."

Dread fills my heart as I look down into her sad eyes, and I pull her closer, kissing her lips softly. "I was meaning to tell you," I whisper when our lips part.

"I know," she states simply, "I understand why you were reluctant to tell me. I try not to make a big deal out of you leaving because I know it only hurts you, but it proves to be very hard to mask my disappointment."

I laugh slightly. "I am well aware that you attempt to hide your true feelings from me. You forget that I can read you like a book."

She looks down in embarrassment. "Well, now you must understand why I want to stay awake. I fear if I fall asleep my exhaustion will steal away my precious time with you," she says, her eyes meeting mine once again, "I value our time together more than anything in this world."

I brush my fingers across her jaw wondering how I will ever bring myself to leave her. Usually, she does not admit her feelings to me openly, but I can always sense her sadness and disappointment when I ready myself to leave. I can see it in her eyes. Hearing her actually say the words... well, it hurts worse.

"I will come back to you," I promise, "Always."

She smiles at me, and I study her closely. Her crimson hair falls in adorable tangles around her face and down her back. The rising sun casts its soft glow upon her, making it appear that she has a golden aura surrounding her. Her eyes are dark with sleep, a beautiful, earthy green that reminds me of walking through the damp forest after the sky has rained upon it. Her long lashes frame her eyes in a way that, when she blinks, I find utterly irresistible. I could stare at my wife, my princess, forever and never grow bored, for she is the most exquisite piece of artwork I have ever laid eyes upon. She is altogether lovely, the picture of grace and purity. I love her. I love her more than she will ever know.