Chapter Forty one

__________

I have found the one whom my soul loves. -Song of Solomon 3:4

__________

Eilonwy

I breathe deeply as Queen Nithroel buttons up the back of my dress. My heart races in my chest, and I keep my eyes closed tightly. Arwen, Galadriel, and Lady Celebrian let out small gasps and 'awws' as the queen finishes, and I let my eyes flutter open to look at myself for the first time.

The elleth in the mirror before me startles me. My hair is braided on top, the rest falling down to my waist in crimson ringlets with little white flowers tucked in the strands. My eyes are bright with emotion, seeming to be more vibrantly green than usual. And my dress. My dress is absolutely gorgeous. It is pure white with long, fitted sleeves that have lace at the wrists and white buttons dotting up the back of my arms. It is simple, with round, white buttons dotting up my spine, and the bottom flows out beautifully. A long white veil is pinned into my hair, cascading down my back.

"I-I do not know what to say," I whisper, my emotions soaring and swirling through me like a hurricane, "It is beautiful, everything I could have hoped for."

Queen Nithroel nods as I turn to look at her, and I see the tears in her eyes. She covers her face. "I am sorry. I am such a mess," she says with a watery laugh as she wipes at her eyes.

I move forward, embracing her warmly. "Thank you," I tell her, "For being the mother that I do not have."

She wraps her arms around me, sniffling. "Oh, Eilonwy, you are such a sweet girl. You have made my son so happy, and I cannot thank you enough for the warmth and kindness you have bestowed upon us all. The two of you will do so well together."

I pull away from her, smiling as I turn to look at the others. "Thank you all, especially you, Lady Celebrian. This dress is magnificent, and I cannot wait to see the wedding decorations," I tell her breathlessly.

She smiles radiantly, her own eyes tearing up at the sight of my misty ones. "You do not have to thank me, my dear. You deserve all of the happiness in Middle Earth," she says, dabbing at her eyes with her handkerchief.

I smile bashfully, fidgeting with the sleeve of my dress. "Have any of you seen Legolas today?" I ask quietly.

Laughter fills the room at my question, and I blush.

"I went and spoke to my son first thing this morning," Queen Nithroel says amusedly, "He is a nervous wreck, poor thing."

Lady Galadriel laughs brightly as she approaches me, embracing me softly for a moment. She places her hands on my upper arms when she pulls away. "Eilonwy is nervous, too. Her thoughts are racing through my mind like the wind," she says with another soft laugh, "There is nothing for you to fear, child. Legolas loves you more than anything. Everything will go perfectly."

I nod, breathing deeply in through my nose. "Yes, I know. I am trying to not be nervous, but 'tis impossible," I say, laughing shakily.

Arwen lays her hand on my shoulder softly. "I understand how you feel. I was terrified on my wedding day, but I promise that it is not so bad, especially since you are having a small wedding. When Legolas sees you, his eyes are going to fall out of his head," she says, laughing melodically.

I laugh, too, secretly hoping that he really will think I am beautiful. Just thinking of his handsome smile and loving blue eyes makes my heart begin racing all over again, and my stomach literally feels as if there are butterflies fluttering around inside of it.

"Shall we head down now?" Lady Celebrian asks me as if giving me a choice of running away. The thought makes me bite my tongue to keep from laughing.