Chapter Eight

Legolas POV

    “Welcome, Legolas Thranduilion,” Lord Celeborn says and opens his arms wide in a welcoming gesture.

    I bow to him. “Thank you for welcoming me on such a short notice, Lord Celeborn.”

    He places his hand on my upper back, guiding me into the palace. “You are always welcome here. You know that. It is a good thing that my wife saw you coming in time for us to make up your room,” he says with a warm smile.

    It took me a little more than a day to arrive in Lothlorien. I traveled as quickly as I could, but Arod has gotten much older and quickly tires out. When I finally reached the borders, the Lorien guard escorted me to Caras Galadhon. I was immediately suspicious because Rumil was in charge of the guard and Haldir, the Marchwarden, was nowhere in sight. I probably should not worry, but I cannot think of any reason as to why he was not there.

    Lord Celeborn looks at me. “I will take you to the library. Galadriel wants to speak with you.”

    I nod, a brief feeling of dread pushing its way into my heart. I have been so excited and anxious to finally meet Eilonwy that I pushed Galadriel’s warnings to the back of my mind.

“Lead the way,” is the only reply I can think to say.

His smile changes to look more like a smirk, and I wonder if Galadriel has told him more than he needs to know about my sudden idea to visit. “Did you know that we have a new resident here in Lothlorien?”

I shake my head, deciding to play dumb. “I did not.”

Now he wears a full smirk, a sparkle of mischief appearing in his eyes. “Her name is Eilonwy. She has only been in Lothlorien for three days, but she has already managed to wedge herself deep into my wife’s heart,” he says and his smirk melts into a fond, fatherly smile, “Yesterday, she spent the entire afternoon with Eilonwy in the library, and I think they plan on meeting there again today.”

My eyes widen a bit. “I-I… she is not with Galadriel now, is she?”

I had been hoping that I would be able to take a bath and clean up a little bit before meeting her for the first time. I do not wish to look like an orc the very first time I meet my future wife.

He laughs lightly. “She was not earlier,” is all he says.

We finally reach the door to the library, and Lord Celeborn leaves to attend to other things. I stare at the large oak door, my heart thumping anxiously in my chest. Will Galadriel be furious with me? Have I made the right decision in coming here against her warnings?

“Come in, Legolas,” I hear her say from within the room before I even get up the courage to knock.

I sigh in defeat and open the door. Lady Galadriel sits on a small couch, a leather bound book resting in her hands. Her long blonde hair is pulled into a thick braid that drapes over her right shoulder, and her light blue gown sweeps down to the floor, resembling the color of the ocean. Her piercing blue eyes study me carefully, and her lips are pulled into a soft smile.

One of her hands leaves the book, gesturing for me to sit down on the couch across from her. “Welcome, Legolas,” she says kindly.

I cross the room slowly and hesitantly sit down. “Thank you, my lady,” I reply uncertainly.

She closes her book and lays it on the wooden table beside her. Her gaze then focuses back on mine as she folds her hands delicately in her lap. “Your family does not know you are here,” she states rather than asks.