Chapter Three

Evelyn’s P.O.V.

        Today hasn’t been very great for me. I woke up early this morning with a major migraine, and I feel as if an eighteen-wheeler ran over me, backed up, and did it again. Two weeks have passed since my last doctor’s visit, and I know for certain that my life is coming to an end. My body aches terribly all the time, no matter how many pills I take to subdue the pain. I lost my usual massive appetite and have become much skinnier. When I look in the mirror, I am never happy with what I see. I finally look the way I have felt for these past few years. Sick.

    I feel terrible for my parents. They look as if they have aged several years in just the past few days. Laughter doesn’t exist in this house anymore; whereas, it used to resound through the house and fill up the hearts of anyone who heard it with pure happiness and elation. Now the house is deadly silent at all times. My family members speak to each other in low voices, almost as if they are whispering to each other. We don’t have movie nights anymore or play loud music and dance around like the crazy people we are. Happiness just doesn’t live here anymore; it packed up and left after it heard the dreaded word cancer. I mean, with the way that they all tiptoe around and whisper quietly, it’s almost as if I have already died. I think that my parents finally realize that my death is now becoming a reality. The horrible idea of their only daughter dying is finally sinking into their minds after all this time. They are all in pain. And it’s my fault.

        I sit up in my bed slowly, gasping slightly at the pain that shoots through my body. I look at the lime green alarm clock that sits on the nightstand beside my bed and see the numbers shining brightly through the darkness that covers my room. 12:47 a.m. I throw my legs over the side of my bed, pushing back my covers that attempt to tangle themselves around me, and I place my feet on the soft carpet of the floor before standing up. A shriek of pain leaves my lips and cuts through the still, quiet air of the night when excruciating pain shoots from my toes to my head upon standing. I gasp for air as I try to calm myself down. I had not been expecting such torturous pain.

        I stand still for a moment, listening for any sounds of movement outside of my door. I sigh in relief when I realize that my parents must not have heard my cry. I would not want to worry them any more. I then begin my trek to the bathroom, one painful step at a time. I press my hands to the wall of the hallway or any object I pass as I walk, trying to take away some of the pain that I feel. I accidentally bump into a table that we have set up in the hallway and almost knock over the lamp that sits on it, and I have to bite my tongue so I do not scream in pain. My legs, feet, and ankles feel as if knives are stabbing into them as I walk and bumping into the table made the pain even worse.

        Once the pain somewhat subsides, I continue to the bathroom, but when I am in front of my parent’s room, I stop abruptly. My eyes widen in worry when I hear crying. Their door stands slightly ajar, enough for me to peer through. I look into the room, waiting a moment for my eyes to adjust to the darkness of their room. My little brother sits in between my parents on their bed, and my mom’s arms are wrapped tightly around him as my dad rubs his back soothingly.

        “I don’t want Eve to die, Mama!” my little brother yells out croakily in between sobs, his voice muffled due to the fact that he has his face buried in the crook of mama’s neck. His arms cling to her as if she will somehow be able to take away his grief.

        My mother shushes him in a soothing way and strokes his light brown hair softly. “I know, James. We don’t want that either, but I promise that everything is going to be okay. You’ll see,” she whispers to him, but I can distinctly hear the angst in her tone of voice.

        “No! You’re wrong! I’ll never have her here to play videogames with me or watch “Dr. Who”. I won’t have her here to tease me or yell at me when I get on her nerves. She always comforts me when the other people at school bully me. What will I do when she is gone? Everything is all wrong! Eve is too nice of a person to have to die this way!” he gasps for air as he tries to breathe. My mom and dad continue to try and calm him down.