Chapter Thirty Nine

__________

If I don't have love, I am nothing. -1 Corinthians 13:2

__________

Legolas

Ada and Naneth arrived in Rivendell two days after their letter did, and I have never seen my nana cry as much as she has since she first saw Eilonwy and I holding hands when they came through the gate. She immediately ran to Eilonwy, pulling her into a bone-crushing hug, and she held her like that for so long, I was afraid I would have to fight my nana to get my wife-to-be back.

Adar held himself together well, which of course was not a surprise, but he could not fool anyone when tears pooled in his eyes as he looked upon us.

He hugs me tightly, something that he has not done since I was an elfling, and I accept his embrace happily, trying to keep my emotions in check. "I am so happy for you, ion nin (my son)," he says lowly so that only I can hear, and his voice is weak and trembling slightly, "You do not know how proud I am of you. I have not always been a good father, but I promised myself that I would make it up to you by allowing this wedding to take place."

He pulls away, holding onto my shoulders tightly as he appraises me.

"You need not feel that way, Ada. You have been a wonderful father," I tell him, confused at his guilty tone. 'Tis true that at times he can lose his temper and say things that cut into my heart like a knife, but it is only because I love him and care about his opinion. No one is perfect. I get angry with him a lot, too, but not once has he ever been a bad father in my mind.

He only nods, not looking convinced by my words, but Naneth takes his spot quickly.

"Oh, Legolas," she says, tears running down her cheeks as she throws her arms around me, "I just cannot believe that you are getting married. It seems like just yesterday you were crawling into mine and your father's bed after having a nightmare."

"Naneth," I mutter, feeling embarrassed as Gwilithon howls with laughter somewhere behind us.

"I am sorry," she says, pulling away from me and wiping at her cheeks, "I know you cannot stand that. I am just so happy!"

Lady Celebrian takes my mother's attention away from me as she begins speaking of Eilonwy's wedding dress, and I turn to see my Ada embracing Eilonwy tightly. My eyes widen slightly in surprise at the scene, and I turn to look at Glosseth who shrugs, a grin spreading across her face.

When Ada finally pulls away from Eilonwy, he takes her hand and squeezes it tightly as he says something too low for me to hear. She smiles, a slight rosy tint appearing on her cheeks, and she says something to him that makes him laugh. When they part and I finally have Eilonwy to myself, I analyze my father's expression closely. He is smiling widely, something he does not do very often, and his eyes are watery and slightly red. I glance at Eilonwy, raising my eyebrow at her, but she just continues to smile, shaking her head as if to say that she will explain later.

"Well, shall we go inside?" Lord Elrond asks, and everyone follows after him, all laughing and smiling as they converse with each other. I hold Eilonwy's hand tightly in mine, amazed at how our wedding could possibly make them all so excited and elated.

Eilonwy leans in closely to me. "I thought I was nervous before," she whispers, "But as it gets closer to our wedding, my nerves are getting stronger."

I laugh at her, kissing her head softly. "Do not be nervous. Look at how happy they are for us," I tell her, and she looks at the others for a moment before meeting my gaze, "My parents adore you. My ada does not even embrace Gwilithon or me, unless it is a special occasion like this."