Chapter 15: Breaking Angel's

Feeling darkness wash over me, I watched as my hair burned orange. The halo above me wisping into a crown of flames, the red scythe forming in my hands. The tattoos of wings glow before changing. The wings lose most of their feathers to become more bat-like. 

"You wanted to see my magic. Now you can feel its power," I said, as if someone else was controlling my body. But something was pushing me forward, slicing into Luthor's armored suit. His well-toned body flew out of it, the other villains moving to attack. 

In the blink of an eye, I dashed around the room. The scythe became an extension of myself as I used it to propel forward, slashing at the villains in front of me. Their bodies slammed to the ground as fast they came forward, Luthor's eyes wide when I slammed into him. His body flew to a nearby wall, and the groans of the other villains could be heard as I dropped the scythe. Its form disappeared as I grabbed my enemy's shirt.

"Now that you've seen that, you can feel this," I scowled at him. My fist pounded into his flesh, an evil glint forming in my eye as he screamed. My fist moved back and forth on him repeatedly until I felt arms grip me. The weight of another person pulled me off, my eyes seeing Luthor's face being swollen and puffy to the point he didn't look recognizable. 

My body was finally released when I felt Wally's arms wrap around me, my eyes focusing as I pushed back and saw his face. My hands immediately went to his cheeks, my lips pressing into his. My world was gluing itself back together. As my magic faded, a smile spread across my face, the world feeling more in my control. A sudden pain erupted from my stomach and chest, and my body fell to the ground as Wally screamed for the others. The world went black as I felt my body being moved somewhere. 

My eyes rolled open to find myself back in my bed at the mountain. Wally was sitting at the edge of the bed, his head in his hands. Moving my leg slightly, I felt a sharp pain in my side. My hands threw over the blanket. The once small tattoo above my hipline was more giant and stretched to my side and chest. Wally turned as he noticed I had woken up. 

"Yeah, that's gonna hurt," He said, void of emotion. Instead, his eyes were full of sadness and guilt, and I felt his arms pick me up off the bed. Then, without a word, his feet began traveling the distance to the familiar oval-shaped room from when I first arrived. The doors whoosh open to reveal the team, the League, and some other heroes I haven't met, all chattering together. The ones who noticed our arrival quickly took their seats. 

"Alright, he's here," Wally said, setting me on my feet before taking his seat. The once warm feeling he gave off essentially snuffed out. His face shadowed the scrapes and bruises covering his entire body. 

"What's going on?" I asked, the others all looking at me. My body felt surrounded by the people I called friends and family. 

"Ang- Max. You lied to us, kept secrets from us, and then against professional advice, did the opposite of what you were told!" Batman said, turning the corner as he frowned at me. Bruce's eyes showed large amounts of disappointment as he spoke, and tears welled up in my eyes. 

"I- I was only trying to help," I said. A few quickly formed tears fell down my cheeks. 

"And by doing just that, you endangered the lives of your friends and your life as well." He said, his eyes narrowing. 

"There wasn't another choice! Everyone was made helpless except me!" I said, "I couldn't just stand there and do nothing!"

"Except a certified League Member deliberately told you NOT to use your magic or go into any battle, period. Am I right?" He asked, his eyes impossibly narrowing further, the emotions balling inside me, causing me to cry even more.