Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Letter

Vhaela Targaryen

I sit on my windowsill looking out at the vast empty ocean. The waves roll against the beach and sink back into the deep water. Their movement brings me some peace with each flow of water. I had been staring out now for a few hours.

Almost entranced with the water.

A loud high-pitched screech is emitted from above the clouds. I turn to look upwards trying to find my favorite dragon. His red stomach then slowly peeks from underneath the clouds. I watch with a smile as he slowly lowers down.

Caraxes long neck descends from the clouds and with a flap of his long wings he lets out another screech. He dives down and then quickly turns to circle around him. At the sight of another dragon descending my eyes narrow.

The dragon's light yellow scales contrast with the bright blue sky. Syrax moves to follow Caraxes with a loud roar. From the distance I am the two dragons almost seemed to be the same size. But I knew that Caraxes was still much larger.

The two dragons dance in the sky with each other. I watch with my eyes narrowed at the two dragons. They were acting just like their riders. Being all over each other. The very thought of it was sickening to me.

A light knock on my door causes me to turn to it. I jump off the windowsill and land with a light thud. I make my way over to the door and slowly move to open it. The sight of a servant holding a letter causes my eyes to brighten dramatically.

She says with a bow of her head "A letter for you, mi lady."

The servant holds on the letter to me, and I quickly grab it. I turn the letter over to see who wrote it. A smile gleams on my face at the sight of Aemond's name. It had been a little over a moon since his last letter.

His last letter arrived a day after my nameday. It was a welcomed sight during the tense time I was having at the time. After the celebration, my father redeemed me for raising my voice at him in front of others.

At that point, I had no fight left in me. My aunt had already been sent back on a boat and I was unable to reach her. I was once again stuck here. I let my father go on and on before he left with his rage. We had not had a conversation since then.

I turn up to look at the servant as I say with a smile "Thank you!"

I then move to turn around and quickly head back inside my chamber with the letter in hand. I rush to my desk where I hastily open the letter up. I quickly undo it and break the seal opening the letter. I smile at his handwriting as I read.

Vhaela,

I cannot tell you how much I despise your father. I am sure you are tired of hearing it from me. But he is a prick. I can't wait for you to show me your new knife when you arrive at King's Landing for Helaena's wedding. I know she will be just as excited as I am to see you again. She would probably put a snake in my bed if she knew I was telling you this, but I know she is scared of marriage. I know with your being there will help her tenfold. I miss you.