Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five: The Time Has Come

Vhaela Targaryen

The wind soars between the leaves and causes them to rattle. Some slowly begin to travel down to the ground in a soft swirl. There was already a fair amount that have fallen and with every step, my horse takes on the ground I hear a sharp crisp.

My hips sway from side to side as the horse under me moves forward. I turn to my left and find Dawsin on a black mare, and he moves his head around surveying the forest. To my right is Lord Gerold who rambles on about something.

I move my hand down to the mane of my white mare. I pat against her neck a couple of times before softly rubbing my hand against her fur. She lets out a soft neigh and it causes me to let out a small chuckle.

It was such a different experience riding a horse after being so comfortable up in the skies. In some ways I found it to be similar but there was nothing quite like riding a dragon. To know that there is a formidable power under you and ready to set aflame anything.

Nothing quite compares to a dragon.

I then hear Lord Gerold say "I am so proud of you! You were able to catch four Guineafowl in your first hunt!"

His enthusiasm causes a bright smile to form on my lips. After he had given me my mother's armor, I had asked him to take me hunting. I knew my mother liked it and although I had never done it, I wanted to do anything possible to feel closer to her.

But for the past six moons, I had been terribly busy. Whether it be filling out forms and signing letters to holding town meetings. I had hardly enough time to fly with Cannibal in the morning. But soon everything seemed to be calming down.

And it was a much-needed break.

There was only so much I could take of hearing the bickering of old men and their cattle. Or even the squabbling over their ownership of certain parts of land. Just the other day I had to settle two men fighting over their property line.

I held much restraint in that meeting.

I then turn my head to say in response "I cannot believe it either Lord Gerold. It must have been your teaching skills that allowed me to do so."

He gives me a bright smile and a nod of his head. We move out of the small forest nearby the castle and head out into the open rolling hills. A small smirk begins to form as I find the tall outline of the castle in the far distance.

I grab tight on my reins as I announce, "I propose a race."

This instantly catches Dawsin's attention as he firmly states "No Vhaela."

"Scared you'll lose?" I scoff at his command.

He gives me a pointed look and moves to halt his black mare in place. On the other side of me, Lord Gerold does the same. At the sight of the two of them stopping I pull back on my reins and come to a standstill.