Chapter Forty-Seven

Chapter Forty-Seven: The Training Yard

Vhaela Targaryen

The weight of the training sword that once felt like it was dragging my arm down now is light and swift in my grip. I tightly grasp the handle and give it a small spin with my wrist as I move forward to Dawsin. A small smirk forms on my mouth as I face him.

He lowers down in a firm stance ready for my attack. I shuffle my feet as I move to circle him. His eyes don't leave mine as I wait for a perfect time to strike. And at the simple blink of his eyes, I pounce into action toward him.

I strike my sword but before it can move to hit the side of his chest Dawsin's sword meets my own. Instantly I retract my sword and swing it to his other side, but he knows of my movement and blocks it yet again.

Our training swords hold against each other and the pressure that he forces down makes me stand my ground. I quickly move my left hand to the handle allowing both hands to tightly grip as I push against Dawsin.

My arms begin to slightly shake from the downward force. With all my might I try to match his force, but I knew that I would soon buckle. So, with a last-ditch effort, I ease the force I use against Dawsin and allow my sword to swiftly drift down.

The sudden loss of force causes Dawsin to stumble forward a few paces. I use that and swiftly turn on my heel and find his back as I raise my sword in his direction. A smile forms on my lips as I press the very dull blade against his back giving him his defeat.

Dawsin's shoulders slump and he lowers his sword from his right hand. He then slowly turns around and his chest meets the tip of the blade. At the sight of my smile, he gives a playful roll of his eyes. I then remove my sword from his direction as my smile grows brighter.

"I got you." I taunt lightly.

He shakes his head softly while I watch a very small smile threatening to appear on his lips as he says, "Yeah yeah don't gloat."

A soft chuckle escapes my mouth at his attitude. Ever the sore loser he was. It made beating him that much better. I then watch his playful expression slowly fade and it causes me to narrow my eyebrows slightly in confusion.

He then softly tells me, "Vhaela... don't let these lords force you into a decision."

My eyes lower to the ground at his words. It has been around a moon since the ball and most of the lords still roam about the castle walls. Waiting for an answer I was not sure I could give. An answer I did not want to give.

Out of all the men I was not overly impressed with any. The only one that I would possibly be interested in is not even a second son. It would not be the smartest match either. No, the smartest match would be Rylon Royce.

But as handsome as he was, he was rather dull in personality. I guess it would not be the worst thing in the world. He would be a much better husband than Arnold Arryn that is for sure. Much easier to control.