Chapter Fifty-Eight

Chapter Fifty-Eight: The Men at Dusk

Vhaela Targaryen 

The wind pounds against my cheeks as we soar through the air. Cannibal flaps his wings frantically as he moves us higher and higher as we finally approach King's Landing. The blaring sun has just begun to make its way behind the sea line.

The trip to and from Winterfell took up the majority of my day. With a soft sigh I slowly move my hand to stroke against Cannibal's scales. He had not had much time to rest in between and was surely tired from flying all day. However, I see no fatigue as he descends towards Flea Bottom.

A large shadow follows us on the ground below eliminating any sun from above. From my side, I see the Great Sept that lies on Visenya's Hill. The sheer beauty of the building was incomparable to any others.

In the blink of an eye, Cannibal arrives near the outer walls of the Red Keep. I guide him around to a nearby courtyard that seems to be void of people. With the rapid flap of his long-horned wings, he makes his way down and lands with a hard thud.

I pat his neck as I whisper out soft loving words in Valyrian, praising him for his feat. He lets out a low grumble and shakes his head slightly. A light laugh escapes me at his behavior. It seems as though I might have to make it up to him.

Perhaps I could find an old dragon egg for him in the pit.

I let out a heavy huff before making my way off of Cannibal. His wings carry my weight before he lowers to his side allowing me to hop down on the floor. His head turns in my direction, and I give him a soft smile.

I wait for him to fly off but instead, Cannibal lowers himself to the ground with a soft plop and curls his head somewhat into his body. My smile instantly widens and a large laugh escapes from me. I guess he really was tired.

Without a second thought, I swiftly turn and make my way inside the castle walls. Guards stationed out at each entrance give me a low bow as I pass them. With the sun now almost set the castle hallways were mostly empty.

As most had retired to their chamber.

I think about heading to Aemond and I's chamber and surprising him with my early arrival, but I decided against it. I wanted to speak with Helaena. She would be much more understanding and would help to clean up the wound on my cheek from Jacaerys's fist.

There was no stopping Aemond if he found out about this.

And I didn't want to have to deal with his rage right now.

So, I start to make my way in the direction of the Tower of the Hand. Where I knew that Healena would be making her way with the children soon. She would allow the children to see Alicent before she would put them to bed.

I didn't quite understand the purpose, but it was not any of my business.

As I make my way up the large staircase, I grip the tail of my dress so as not to trip. It was quite a long way up the tower and by the time I reached the near top, my chest was heaving up and down. My eyes widen as I find Helaena and the children moving toward Alicent's chamber.