Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Forty-Six: The Ball to Find a Match

Vhaela Targaryen

I spin the handle of my sword with my wrist before moving to place it in the slot with the other training swords. Dawsin follows behind me and places his own sword right next to mine on the rack. My chest rises and falls in heavy breaths from our training.

Dawsin pushed me harder and harder with each training session. Sometimes it was a pain, but I knew that in the end, it would be worth it. If somehow Dawsin or Ser Willam were unable to reach me in time it was nice to know I could defend myself.

It was also just a cool skill to have.

Dawsin comes up beside me as I head back toward the entrance of the castle. I bump my shoulder into him, and it causes him to stumble on his feet.

"I almost had you," I say with a bright smile on my face.

He lets out a few grumbles from his mouth before he shortly says, "You did not."

I let out a light chuckle at his tone. He certainly was a sore loser. I was never able to see this side of him since I usually horribly lost every time we fought. But today was different. I could tell from the way his face was straining with each movement.

He was struggling.

I then softly admit to him "If I am almost as good as you that only means you are a good teacher."

Dawsin stops in his tracks which makes me do the same. His grumpy look slowly fades away and a very small smile forms at the corner of his lips. This only causes a smile to grow on my face. I move toward him and rest my hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." He says with a playful tone.

We both then move through the hallways of the castle. At the sight of my chamber door, I let my feet rapidly move inside. There I find my handmaiden, Cira, standing looking at me with wide eyes. I narrow my eyes at her expression.

"My lady! We have been looking for you everywhere! The ball is about to start!" She says frantically.

This causes my own eyes to widen as I let out "Oh qrugh." (Shit)

It completely slipped my mind. It had been almost six moons since my father had arrived in Runestone. And during that time, it took that long for preparations to be made and for the lords to have time to travel.

Perhaps I had let it slip my mind on purpose.

But it was far too late now to back out. Well, I guess I could perhaps take to Cannibal in the skies. But then I would eventually have to come back and deal with the repercussions. I guess I could survive some time with some lords. It couldn't be all that bad.

I then rush over toward the corner of my room where a panel lies out and I quickly get out of my training clothes. I hear the sound of Cira's footsteps running around my chamber. Then a black and bronze dress is thrown over the top of the panel.