Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Midnight Flight

Vhaela Targaryen 

I fly through the air on Cannibal but no matter how much I try and control him his body shakes in the air and his head tugs the other way. The newly added saddle was the main cause of this. He shakes his head in the air back and forth.

He then lets out a huge roar of displeasure. I try to soothe him with my touch and in an attempt to appease him I let go of the large handles in front of me and stroke his scales. Cannibal shakes his head one more time before stopping.

I let out a sigh of relief and from below I see my father riding Caraxes. With the saddle handles I turn to the right and downwards. Cannibal obeys and with a flap of his wings, he starts to descend at a blistering speed.

His spikey wings fold close to him as we go down and just before we reach the ground, I pull him. This causes him to spread out his wings swiftly and makes us even to the ground in a swift jerk. I let out a small laugh as we swerve through the air.

Caraxes lets out a loud high pitched sound as he nears us. This causes a roar to emit from Cannibal as he once again begins to shake his head. My head turns to the left to find my father flying at my level. He gives me a smile before looking at my dragon.

He notices how displeased Cannibal is and he moves to lower down toward the ground. I then hear a loud grumble of annoyance emits from Cannibal as he now tries to shake his body. The grip on my saddle tightens firmly as I hold on.

With all my might I push Cannibal down toward the ground and he luckily obeys. We approach the ground where my father has just landed near the castle. With a sharp jolt we land firmly on the ground, and I let out a sigh.

I quickly make my way down off him and approach my father with a shake of my head.

"He does not like the saddle. I told you he wouldn't." I tell him.

My father lets out a heavy sigh as he turns to look at my dragon. I watch with a small smile as Cannibal moves his head toward his body. He quickly begins biting at it with his teeth slowly destroying the saddle. I give my father a knowing look.

He rolls his eyes playfully as he then looks to the Dragonkeepers as he commands "Take it off him."

The two Dragonkeepers turn to look at my dragon and slowly try to approach him. But noticing their movement Cannibal instantly stops biting the saddle and directs his head toward them. He opens his mouth wide and lets out a loud roar at the two.

The sound causes Caraxes to move away from the area and with a flap of his wings, he is up in the air. But he does not move too far as he begins to circle up around us. Probably feeling the need to be around my father as he is near Cannibal.

But noticing the scared Dragonkeepers I move toward Cannibal. His head slowly moves toward me and his head leans into me causing me to shuffle backward. A small laugh emits from me at his action, and I stroke his black scales.