Chapter Seventy-Four

Chapter Seventy-Four: The Queen of Peace

Helaena Targaryen 

The morning sun rises over the horizon casting a light warm glow to take over the castle grounds. A firm hand grips my arm tightly keeping me in place before the towering walls of the Red Keep. The surrounding people have all gathered to see the deaths of traitors.

Of Ser Denys Woodwright and Ser Thoron True.

While the people cheer and boast about their impending deaths, I find myself trembling with fear, knowing that the imminent event is about to unfold. My gaze rises to find the two knights hovering atop the castle walls, their necks bound by ropes.

Behind them stands a member of the city watch with their golden cloaks shimmering in the light. To the right, I find Rhaenyra, her intense glare fixed upon the two men with an intensity I had become accustomed to. Her head then rises and falls with a firm nod.

I widen my eyes in response, and my head instinctively shakes as I attempt to shield my view. The harsh grip on my wrist vanishes momentarily, only to reappear on my chin. I flinch as the unfamiliar touch forces my gaze toward the knights.

I desperately squirm under his hold as the gold cloaks advance toward the knights. In a swift motion, they push the knights off the steps, sending them hurtling toward the ground. However, instead of hitting the ground, the ropes around their neck tighten, catching their fall.

My face scrunches tightly at the sight and the force closes my eyes. The pounding of my heart echoes within my head as their broken necks pierce through my mind. The sight is now permanently engraved in my mind.

I am shaken by the man holding my chin as he then whispers in my ear, "You see that, you traitor. Soon you and your husband are going to share the same fate."

The guard shakes my chin, forcing my eyes to open. I'm instantly taken aback as I witness the shocking scene before me. The two knights swing from their neck side to side against the castle walls. Their eyes are lifeless.

Around me, I hear whispers of how they were caught attempting to free Lord Corlys from the dungeon. A man that was once loyal to Rhaenyra now sits in the dirty black cells below the keep. A shiver runs through my back at the thought of ever being put down there.

But up here was still agonizing.

Haunted by the constant memories of Jaehaerys and Maelor lingering throughout the castle walls. Tears begin to gather in the corner of my eyes at the mere thought of their deaths. My sweet children. My darling boys.

And there was still no word on Jaehaera.

It was most likely she was dead like her brothers. Forced to be subjected to a horrendous death because of my heritage. It seemed all my children would be fated to die in their youth. My lips quiver as I am roughly shoved to walk back inside the castle walls.