Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four: The People of Runestone

Vhaela Targaryen 

A bright smile beams on my face as I feel the wind brush against my cheeks. My hair flows ungracefully behind me with my only save in grace being the braids that I decided to put in. They bounce against my back with each hit of the wind.

I tightly secure my hands on the handle of Cannibal's saddle as I direct him lower to the roaring hills. He tilts us down and I allow my body to hunch closer to his body as we dart downward. The large horns that rest on top of his head direct my attention to the large castle.

Runestone comes into appearance and as we begin to lower down, I make Cannibal level out. We swerve by a nearby hill just barely missing it and we come into a valley between two mountains. A light chuckle escapes my lips.

One of my hands removes itself from the handle of the saddle I begin to stroke it along his dark black scales. At my touch, he lets out a small hum of approval. As Runestone appears in my eye line I move to raise Cannibal higher in the air.

The flap of his wings pushes up higher and higher in the air. I then guide him to circle the large grounds of the castle walls. We slowly move in the air around the cascading tower in the center of the grounds. From the height we are at I can barely make out the people below.

But I knew they were probably used to Cannibal by now. Well as much as anyone could get used to a dragon flying above them daily. I had taken to riding him every morning since my trial which was now almost three moons ago.

When my father found out about the trial, he was livid. First at me and the other lords for not informing him and then at Lady Jeyne for even considering such a foolish trial. From the rage in his letter, I half expected him to fly to the Eyrie himself.

But I have yet to hear of any news of the Eyrie erupting into flames.

It was probably due to Rhaenyra who most likely talked him out of it. Something that one could rarely do with my father. But for once I was thankful for her being able to. Otherwise, I would have had a much bigger problem on my hands.

It struck me as odd for her to want to convince him out of it before I remembered her mother was part Arryn. That was likely the source of her wanting to protect the castle from the piercing flames of Carraxes.

But whatever.

I move the handles downward toward the large opening. As we descend Cannibal rapidly flaps his wings allowing us to softly land on the ground. He was starting to get better at that. I give him a hard pat on his neck before moving to make my way down.

He shifts his body to the side and moves his wing to allow me to step down off of it. I land on the ground with a soft jump. Cannibal then begins to move away from me and once again take off again up in the air.