Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty: The Daughter and Wife

Daemon Targaryen

I lean up against a wall that surrounds the training area. There I watch a guard with short blonde hair spare with Vhaela. The two go back and forth in attempting to charge against the other with the brunt of their wooden swords.

My arms cross against each other as I firmly watch them. It had been two moons since I ordered her new guard to train her. And from that short time, she has rapidly improved. It was truly something else to see her excel in this.

The two begin to hit hard and their movements become swifter. Then in a swift moment, I watch as Vhaela is unable to bring up her sword in time to stop her opponent's sword from crashing upon her. My body instantly moves to stand up straight as I watch her fall to the ground from the force of the swing.

My eyes flick back to the guard with a heavy glare in his direction. I take a step forward but stop my movement as I hear Vhaela's soft laughter emit through the air. With a heavy breath, I turn my focus to her and watch her body softly shake as she stares at her guard.

He holds his hand out in front of her in which she accepts, and I watch as he pulls her up. He lightly chuckles at her before placing his hand on her head. I then find myself heading toward them with my heavy steps.

With Vhaela's back facing me her guard is the first to notice my presence. He instantly removes his hand from her head and moves into a low bow toward me. This causes Vhaela to turn around and I watch her laughter softly fade away.

It causes a shoot of pain to hit inside my chest. I hated how our relationship has developed now. But I knew nothing that I could do to make it up to her. At least something that I would be willing to do. I knew how much she craved going back to King's Landing.

But I would not subject her to the Hightower bitch.

Not if I can help it.

The only thing that gave me some joy was her gradual happiness over the past six moons. I had no idea what was causing it, but I would like to think it had something to do with her training. Or her even getting used to living here with me.

I continue to make my way to Vhaela and once I reach her, I sent my hand on her shoulder. My eyes still burn into the guard and sensing my aversion to him he swiftly bows to us both and turns to leave. I watch him walk away and I hear a heavy sigh release from Vhaela.

She breaks away from my hold and turns around to face me with a bored look on her face. Her hands pass her wooden sword back and forth switching from each hand.

I say to her with a soft smile "You are greatly improving in your lessons."

She just gives me a lazy nod of her head while she softly says, "Thank you."

By her response, my smile turns into a strained one. It seemed we always did our best conversating through arguments. Which always ended with one of us screaming at the other or one of us walking away.