Chapter One

Beomgyu yawns as the last customer walks out of the coffee shop, his eyes trailing towards the window and he notices the dark clouds overhead. It's supposed to rain later, and if he doesn't leave soon he's going to get caught in it while walking home.

"Kai!" Beomgyu exclaims since the younger is somewhere in the back. "I'm leaving early. Need me to do anything?"

There's a moment of silence before Kai's head pops around the corner, his messy brown hair falling into his eyes as he scans the shop. He hums before glancing over at the tables. "Would you mind cleaning them off for me?" He gestures in the direction of the table and Beomgyu eyes follow before nodding, reaching for the cleaner underneath the cash register. "I should be good if you do that."

He's given an appreciative smile before Kai disappears into the back once more, leaving Beomgyu alone in the front. He grabs his earbuds out of his pockets, unraveling them and shoving one into his ear, letting his music play on shuffle as he starts wiping down the tables.

Beomgyu truly loves his job; the customers are always nice to him and more often than not, he's working with Kai. Over the past two years of working together, he and Kai have become best friends, and there's never a dull moment with Kai around. He's grateful to have a job that he's always dreamed of, and even happier to have such great people surrounding him.

He wipes down the last table thoroughly, streaks of cleaner residue left behind on the wooden table as he hums along to the tune of the music playing in his earbud. He looks out the foggy window now covered in small raindrops from the overpassing storm and smiles to himself. He knows that Taehyun, his boyfriend of three years, is probably at home right now waiting for him.

He looks around at the store, a wave of comfort washing over him when he realizes how lucky he is. Everything feels so surreal to him – so perfect.

Walking back over towards the register, he throws the rag in the dirty linens before placing the cleaner back where he got it from. He glances over the store once more to make sure everything is put up properly before heading towards the back and towards his locker. He doesn't want to leave Kai with a bunch of extra stuff to do, he already feels bad for having to leave early.

He unties his apron, pulling it over his head and folding it up neatly before placing it inside of his locker, gently shutting the door once he grabs his phone from inside. He pulls his phone out of his hoodie pocket, sending a quick message to Taehyun.

"Leaving work early. Made dinner yet?"

He keeps his phone in his hand, walking over to Kai who is attempting to make a bucket of mop water. "Headed out. See you tomorrow?"

Kai gives him a smile, his eyes sparkling as he looks up from the mop bucket. "See you tomorrow, Beomie!"

The nickname puts a smile on Beomgyu's face, and with a final wave, he's making his way back towards the lobby. He pushes open the wooden entrance door, the all-too-familiar bell chiming as he walks outside, the frigid December air hitting his warm skin and sending chills across his body.

He smiles at all the Christmas decorations that have been put up over the past few days, from random shapes on the street lights to the fairy lights wrapped around the now dead trees. Watching everyone in the town come together to decorate warms his heart, he loves seeing everyone around him happy.

The leather boots he's wearing squeak with each step that he takes, echoing throughout the empty street as he makes his way towards his house. It's only a fifteen minute walk, but the cold air makes it feel a lot longer. Not that he minds, of course, he loves nature.

However, he doesn't like the wintertime, being more fond of spring, but he doesn't mind it too much since it means Taehyun will make him hot chocolate any time he asks. Taehyun has always been the type of person to do anything to make Beomgyu happy, it's been that way for as long as Beomgyu can remember.