Chapter Six

As the clock strikes ten, Taehyun groans loudly, rubbing his hands over his face before closing his laptop rather harshly. Today's been exhausting, to say the least, and all he wants is to pick up Beomgyu and head home. The dimly lit office is unusually silent, except for the soothing sound of raindrops tapping against the windowpane. He watches as a droplet races down the glass, obscuring the world beyond with a curtain of water. He imagines that Beomgyu is looking up at the same sky as him right now, marveling about how beautiful the world is.

With a sigh, he reaches for his phone and sends Beomgyu a text, letting him know that he's about to head that way. He grabs his coat and pulls it tightly around his body, shivering at the chilling draft that makes its way in from the open door as he steps out of the building. The street lights flicker from above him, attempting to pierce through the darkness of the night.

Raindrops fall from the sky as he rushes to the car, the cold water hitting his face and biting into his exposed skin. The sound of his footsteps are loud as he runs through the empty parking lot, blending in with the rhythm of the rain. Each droplet washes away the exhaustion of his day, while simultaneously deepening the weight on his shoulders.

When he reaches the car, he fumbles in his pocket for his keys, his wet hands seemingly unable to hold onto them. The steel of the vehicle's handle sends a shocking jolt of frost through his fingertips as he pulls the door open, sliding into the driver's seat. He shrugs his coat off, pulling his phone out of his pocket before tossing it into the backseat.

Taehyun shivers as he turns the key in the ignition, eliciting a low, sluggish rumble from the engine. A humming sound fills the car as the heater finally turns on. The air is cold at first, but he doesn't mind it too much.

He frowns when he sees that Beomgyu hasn't responded yet, but he brushes it off anyway. He's probably busy talking to Kai right now.

Slowly, the chill of the car begins to dissipate, replaced by the smallest amount of warmth. He blinks a few times, trying to rub away the sleepiness that is beginning to take over. The soft hum of the engine mixes with the sound of the raindrops hitting the windshield, creating a melody that makes him want to close his eyes.

He begins the short drive, navigating through the roads as his mind wanders back to Beomgyu. He imagines that his boyfriend is in that cozy coffee shop, chatting up a storm to Kai with a smile so bright that it makes his eyes twinkle. If he has to pick one thing that he loves most about Beomgyu, it's his kindness.

He's beyond grateful that Beomgyu has Kai and that they're close. Sometimes Beomgyu's job requires him to stay late, and knowing that he's never there alone gives Taehyun some peace of mind. He plans on trying to work from home soon, that way he can be with Beomgyu more and remain in the safety of their home.

Massive amounts of water blur his view, the headlights doing little to illuminate the roads while thunder roars, lightning flinging vivid bolts across the sky. The wind howls, threatening to swallow the car whole as he makes his way around the corner, slowing down and his heart sinking in his chest at the scene before him.

Flashing blue and red lights pierce the veil of the night, casting ominous shadows upon the coffee shop. Multiple squad cards, sirens muted but lights blazing, take over the scene. His heart races as he parks the car hastily, rushing over to where Kai is sitting underneath the awning.

"Kai?" Taehyun questions as he rushes towards him. Kai's eyes are red and puffy, filled with tears, and he lets out a choked sob when he sees Taehyun, shaking his head. His heart drops when Beomgyu is nowhere in sight. "Where's Beomgyu?"

He looks around frantically at all of the police officers. He needs to make sure that Beomgyu's okay – he has to be okay.

Everything stops momentarily before he tries to run inside, desperate to find Beomgyu. One of the officers grabs him, holding him back and Taehyun feels like his entire world is stopping. Everything around him begins to spin, blurring the chaos unfolding around him.