Chapter Eighteen

As the first rays of the sun pierces through the thin, sheer curtain, the bedroom is slowly bathed in a golden glow. The soft streaks of light dance across the walls, casting delicate patterns upon the contents of the room. Beomgyu stirs, slowly blinking his eyes open. He finds himself squinting, forcing his eyes to adjust to the sudden brightness. For a moment, he stays still, dazed by the intrusion of daylight.

Rays of sunshine caress his face, casting fleeting shadows upon his skin, a gentle sensation that hints at the new day. A thin, quiet groan escapes his lips as he reaches a hand out and gently pulls the beige covers away, allowing his body to emerge from its cocoon. The soft cotton sheets, warmed by both slumber and the sunlight, bring a soothing sensation against his skin.

Just as he's about to swing his legs out of the bed, a soft knock comes from the door. Startled, Beomgyu pauses momentarily, uncertainty flicking in his eyes.

"It's me," Taehyun's voice softly flows from behind the door. "Can I come in?"

The crisp sheets crinkle beneath him as he moves, the coolness of the room embracing his skin and the faint scent of lavender lingering in the air. "Yeah, come in."

The door creaks open and Taehyun quietly enters the room. Beomgyu can't help but admire the way his tousled hair catches the light, swaying slightly with each step.

In his hands, he presents a small, blueberry muffin on a delicate plate. The golden brown top dusted with a hint of sugar glistens under the gentle illumination of the sunlight. The fragrant aroma reaches his nostrils, mingling with the bittersweet memories of his past.

Taehyun sits beside him on the edge of the bed before gently placing the plate down between them, his gaze never wavering from Beomgyu's weary eyes. Memories from the last time Taehyun made muffins replay in his mind, the same day that it happened.

Taking a deep breath, he steadies himself and picks up the muffin. It feels unexpectedly heavy in his hand, as if burdened by the memories trapped within its tender crumbs. The texture, the scent, the taste; all of it a vessel for his hidden past, forcing him to confront the darkest corners of his mind.

With hesitant fingers, Beomgyu breaks off a piece of the muffin, the texture gently crumbling against his touch. As he brings it to his lips, a symphony of flavors explode on his tongue. The burst of tart blueberry intertwines with the subtle sweetness of the dough, creating a melody of tastes reminiscent of happier times. There's a sense of heaviness weighing upon his chest as his eyes wander idly around the bedroom.

"Gyu," Taehyun speaks softly, "You know you have to take your medicine."

Beomgyu shifts uneasily, the sheets wrapping around his restless legs. "Not today, I'll take it tomorrow," he murmurs, his voice tinged with a mix of exhaustion and reluctance. His eyes flicker towards the bedside table, where a small bottle of medication sits, the label bearing the names of the medication his doctor had prescribed for him. He can't help but shudder at the mere sight of it, the past haunting his memories like a relentless ghost.

He closes his eyes, attempting to escape the pain that envelops him. His mind wanders back to when things were easier, when the world around him was vibrant and full of joy. But all of the happy moments seem like a distant memory now that he desperately craves to relive.

Despite the fact that he's been taking the medication for weeks, it hasn't helped in the slightest. Every day he finds himself buried beneath the weight of his own thoughts. His mind is consumed by an overwhelming darkness, shrouding him in an endless pit of depression. With each passing day, it's as though its grip tightens around him, leaving little room for light to permeate his world.