Chapter Forty Two

Beomgyu can feel his entire world crashing down around him. He thought he would never have to hear Seiji's voice again, or smell his awful cologne another day in his life. It brings too many memories back to him all at once, and the feelings of terror and hopelessness seem all too real to him again. It's like a trigger to him, flipping a switch in his brain and plunging him into a state of utter panic.

Yet his mind just goes completely blank, all of his thoughts scattering like leaves during a hurricane. He forgets how to do anything – breathe, think, move. It's like his body has shut down completely, limbs turning into lead.

He wants to convince himself that this isn't happening right now and that he's not currently trapped in a room with the person who held him captive for almost a year, but when he feels Seiji pressed behind him, he immediately loses it. He quickly spins around, shaky hands pressed against Seiji's chest as he tries to shove him away, to do anything to make him get away.

It's useless though. He's not nearly as strong as Seiji is, and trying to fight back is only going to make things worse for himself in the end, but it doesn't stop him from trying. He glances around the room frantically for anything that he could use as a weapon, but there's nothing. There's a glass desk in the center of the room, a small, fake potted plant on top of it. If he's lucky enough, he could maybe use that, but it's risky and he doesn't even know how to get close to it without Seiji getting to him first.

But even if he does somehow manage to get out of here, what will happen to Kai?

He looks over at Kai, his heart breaking more at the view. The scene is like something out of one of his nightmares, and he can't shake the feeling of utter helplessness that washes over him for not being able to help. He can see the zip ties around Kai's wrists and ankles, hands slightly turning colors from how tight they are, digging into his skin. Kai's head is lolled to one side, exposing the dried up blood on the side of his head, and his eyes are closed, face pale.

He tries to look at Kai's chest, to make sure he's still breathing, but the longer that he stares, the more he feels like he might actually be sick.

A cold sweat breaks out across his forehead, eyes squeezing shut tightly – this is how he looked in Seiji's basement. It's like he's looking at himself through a mirror, but he's not, and it's so much worse.

He shakes his head, stepping back, furthering himself into the room. "This isn't happening."

Seiji lets out a laugh, taking a step closer and closing the door behind him. "You know, I've been waiting for this moment for such a long time. Taehyun is a smart man, never letting you out of his sight. I'll give him some credit where it's due." He presses the blade of the knife against his fingertip, twirling it around before looking up at Beomgyu. "How do you think he's going to react when he finds out?"

And now he really wishes that he hadn't told Soobin to go back home. He wishes he had just listened to Taehyun.

"Maybe I'll start off with Kai. Kill him slowly and make you–"

"Let Kai go," Beomgyu rushes out, taking a deep breath. "He has nothing to do with this."

"Do you really think that?" Seiji laughs, closing the knife and shoving it inside of his pocket. "How fucking stupid can you possibly be, Beomie? I wouldn't have even been able to get you the first time if it weren't for Kai."

"Kai?" He asks, shaking his head again. "No, Kai wouldn't– you're wrong. I know him and he would never betray me like that."

"Didn't seem to feel that way a few minutes ago," Seiji points out.