Chapter Sixteen

Beomgyu's breathing is soft and rhythmic, and Taehyun can't help but watch him, fascinated by how peaceful he looks. He can't recall the last time that Beomgyu looked at peace, the thought making him let out a small sigh. As Beomgyu's breath begins to steady, Taehyun reaches over and lowers the movie volume on the laptop, focusing all of his attention on the boy in front of him. He sits there for a few moments, watching the way his chest rises and falls ever so slightly.

Propped up on his elbows, he studies every detail of Beomgyu's face, etching them into his memory. He memorizes the way his eyelids flutter while he sleeps and he can't help but feel an overwhelming rush of love and adoration.

Realizing how precious this moment is, he releases a content sigh. The world seems to fade away, leaving only him and Beomgyu, intertwined in a world of their own. The movie plays on, but Taehyun can't bear to divert his attention from the boy in front of him, finding more beauty in his peaceful state than any blockbuster could offer.

"My pretty baby," Taehyun whispers before grabbing the laptop and placing it on the bedside table, careful as to not make too much noise. He slowly stands up and tiptoes over to the door, sharing one last glance at Beomgyu before slipping into the bustling hallway.

He decides it's the perfect opportunity to call Soobin and update him on the situation. Stepping into a quiet corner in the hospital's waiting room, he clicks Soobin's number with trembling hands. Though he would never say it outloud, he desperately needs a familiar voice to confide in right now.

Over the past few months, Soobin has become his rock-solid support, always listening intently and giving the most sincere advice.

The call is quick to connect, concern immediately evident in the elder's voice. "Hey, Taehyun. Is everything alright? How is Beomgyu?"

Taehyun takes a deep breath and sighs, pacing around the corner. "He's sleeping right now, which I think is good. The nightmares have been terrible."

"That's completely understandable."

"The doctors say that he needs to stay here for a little while longer, but they're hopeful we can go home within the week. We'll have to come back in a few weeks to have his foot checked again, but the doctor says he's making great progress with his strength."

Soobin and Yeonjun's voices are muffled in the background for a moment before Soobin clears his throat. "I can only imagine Taehyun. And I know it's hard, but Beomgyu needs you now more than ever, and I'm sure you know that."

Taehyun hesitates, picking at the skin on his bottom lip. "I'm scared he won't be the same. He's so distant now and if I even try to hand him something he has a panic attack. What if I've lost him for good?"

"He's still the same person, that's important to remember. He's always been resilient, he just needs some time to heal and readjust."

He sniffles, trying to find comfort in Soobin's words. "You're right, Soobin. Thank you."

There's a moment of silence between them before Soobin speaks up. "I'll be by later to bring you some clothes, okay? If you need anything before then don't hesitate to call." Taehyun smiles softly and nods, even though he knows Soobin can't see it.

"I will. Bye, Soobin."

With the click of a button, he shoves his phone into his hoodie pocket and lets out a deep sigh that he didn't know he was holding in. He proceeds to stand in the corner, his eyes brimming with unshed tears, each glistening drop fighting for release.

As the emotions surge within his chest, he struggles to hold back the overwhelming tide of tears that threaten to escape his eyes. His composure becomes more fractured with each passing second, the weight of his emotions becoming too much to bear. With a swift and purposeful stride, he searched for a nearby restroom, longing for a moment of seclusion where he can let his feelings truly flow.