Chapter Two

The rays of sunshine that peek through the window at the crack of dawn are no more than a stranger to Beomgyu as the harsh droplets of rain slams heavily against the window pane. Darkness has overcome the sky, the only sources of light being a few of the street posts scattered throughout the neighborhood, but even they are dim against the harsh storm.

A bright flash of light pulls Beomgyu out of his current state of resting peacefully in Taehyun's embrace. He's unable to process what is going on before a roar of thunder echoes from outside, followed by a streak of lightning, fully awakening Beomgyu from his trance and sending him into a state of panic once the darkness returns.

HIs heart pounds as he shoots up from his place in bed, sighing in relief when he realizes the sound came from outside. An arm is being wrapped tightly around his waist and pulling him back down onto the bed as soon as another flash of light illuminates the room. He's now resting on his side, facing Taehyun's chest as the younger pulls him impossibly close, their bodies pressed together.

"It's only rain, Gyu," Taehyun mumbles, moving in the bed so his chin is resting on top of Beomgyu's head. "Go back to sleep."

He's never been afraid of storms, finding the rain to be comforting. Many people associate rain with sadness – gloomy clouds scattering the sky as the sun is casted away, replaced with darkness and a heavy feeling. Beomgyu has never had a negative connection with rain, always associating it with change. Everything changes in life, for better or worse, and he believes that rain is a perfect example of that. It rains temporarily, sometimes it's nothing more than mist or a few raindrops, but every so often there will be a downpour where the ending seems like it will never come. The ending always comes, always replaced by bold colors of reds, greens, and yellows creating ribbons of hope in the storm's wake.

He wraps his arms around Taehyun's waist, his face burying in the younger's chest as he tries to fall back asleep. Thunder continues to rumble outside, thankfully distant as Beomgyu attempts to tune it out, but he's unsuccessful as the thunder shakes the house once again.

"I can't sleep," he mumbles into Taehyun's chest, unsure if he's even awake still. Taehyun has the ability to sleep through anything, and how he does that will forever be a mystery to Beomgyu.

There's a moment of silence before Taehyun's shifting in the bed once more, now laying on his back and pulling Beomgyu into his side. He smiles as he feels Taehyun's lips gently press against his forehead, his hand coming up to rest on Beomgyu's back. His fingers trace circles on his skin, something that he's always done to soothe him. His traces become slower and softer until they stop altogether, Taehyun's hand falling down and resting on the mattress, alerting Beomgyu that he's fallen back asleep.

He glances over at the black alarm clock on the bedside table, squinting his eyes to make out the red numbers blinking on the screen. He sighs once more when he sees that it's nearing six in the morning, meaning he only has roughly four hours until he has to go to work. The nine hour shifts aren't awful, but he wishes that he had more time with Taehyun.

The steady sound of Taehyun breathing brings a smile to his face as he carefully moves out of his hold, being sure not to wake the younger. A small gasp escapes his lips as his toes hit the frigid hardwood floor beneath him and he stays silent for a second, making sure that Taehyun is still resting peacefully before allowing himself to continue.

Getting up, he grabs the wooden laundry basket by the closet door before heading downstairs, quietly shutting the bedroom door behind him. He hums to himself as his feet hit the wooden stairs below him, creaking with each step that he takes. He opens the laundry room door and quickly empties the contents of the basket into the machine before starting it.