𝐢 | farewell

I suggest you to read the "MY WAR" chapter since it includes a character profile and what I think Iris looks like! :)

ENJOY!

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

ONE MONTH LATER Iris found herself packing for her upcoming mission. She could've sworn the mission was in two more weeks, but it's actually in a day.

And her nerves are killing her.

Will her mother and brother be safe? Will she make them proud? Will she and her comrades fail? And most importantly, will she even come back alive?

Her worries were eating her alive, tormenting her whenever and wherever. Yesterday, she was having lunch with Pieck and she suddenly remembered the mission, making her so anxious she eventually threw up her food.

It would randomly happen and take over her mind completely.

And though she has forced herself to learn to hide her emotions in front of everyone, despite being emotional since birth, Iris was worried it would get in the way of the mission.

Iris couldn't let that happen.

Then, a knock is heard. Iris escapes her train of thoughts and looks over her shoulder.

Her mother, Alma, comes inside the room. "Hi, amor, how are we doing?"

Iris sighs, putting her hands on her hips. "Still got a lot to pack, but I'll manage. Is something wrong?"

Alma frowns, walking over to her daughter and suddenly hugging her, taking the girl by surprise. She rests her chin on Iris' head, stroking her dark hair softly.

"Can't I just check up on my little girl before she leaves and saves the world?"

Iría' eyes soften. She instantly wraps her arms around her mother's waist and sinks her face into her shirt, trying to fight the tears wanting to come out.

"Of course you can," Iris whispers.

Alma smiles sadly. She sighs, hugging Iris tighter, in fear she would be taken away from her arms in that very moment. "I can't believe this our last night together."

Iris feels her blood run cold. "Mamá, this won't be the last time. I'll be home before you know it. I promise."

"Y'know, some would say you're the parent and I'm the child," Alma chuckles, but there was a small choke in her voice. Iris could tell.

Iris looks up to her mother, hurt to see her so sad because of her. "I don't care what they say. You're the best mother I, or anyone, could ask for."

Alma smiles, failing to stop the tears that ran down her cheeks. "Sometimes I wonder, when did my little girl become so strong and wise? I would be lying if I said it doesn't concern me."

Iris didn't know how to respond to her mother's words. They both remain silent for a few seconds, enjoying their warmth that'll soon fade away.