𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢 | the 57th expedition

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

THE TWO REMAINING weeks went by as quick as a blink. Now, Iris and the Scout Regiment found themselves halting at Wall Rose's gate, equipped with their gear and supplies, ready for the wall to open and give them way to go beyond it.

They were all assigned on different squads, and to her luck, she was placed on the same squad as Reiner. She was grateful she was with one of the Warriors, as they planned a second mission for today.

Annie will, once again, be the major piece of the puzzle. The key to another door that leads to the possibility of going home, and if it all goes well, that possibility may turn into reality.

But she shouldn't get ahead of herself. First, she has to make sure she, or Reiner or Bertholdt, doesn't get killed the second they ride off beyond Wall Rose. You can never know if a Titan decides it wants to kill and chooses you.

For now, she'll just focus on that.

"Nervous?"

She stops playing with the ends of her hair and faces Jean, who was stationed with his horse to her left side.

He, like her and all the others, wore the famous green cloak all Scouts wear, the two Wings of Freedom sown on the back to represent their never-ending loyalty to fighting in humanity's favor.

"If I'm honest, yes, a little," she admits, "but I don't let it get in my way. You shouldn't, too."

He makes a 'pfft' sound, rolling his eyes, "I'm not nervous at all. I'm perfectly fine, Iris."

"Yeah, right."

Jean whips his head to face Connie behind. The buzz-cut boy only stares at him with a smirk on his face, satisfied to see Jean's confidence being crushed.

"You're one second away from pissing yourself, Jean," Connie scoffs.

Anger rushes within Jean in an instant, making Iris look away in defeat, knowing what his next reaction was going to be. He glares at the boy, "Shut up, Connie! You think I'm the only pissing myself? I can see you shaking from over here, dumbass!"

"So you're admitting you are pissing yourself?" Sasha joins in, curiously staring at Jean.

Next thing Iris knew was that she was bursting in laughter at Sasha's comment. Jean's glare shifts to her, piercing through her like a sharp blade. She mouths a 'sorry', giggling quietly.

Jean turns to Sasha and Connie, annoyed, "You both are idiots. Like actual idiots."

"But you looove us!" Connie says in a sing-song voice, triggering Jean even more.

On the other hand, Sasha smiles to herself, proud to see Iris found her joke funny, "Just embrace it, Jean! You are on the verge of passing out and it's okay!"

"Yeah!" Connie agrees, "Just don't come back crying after you see a Titan!"

The two friends giggle to themselves, high-fiving each other at their success of teasing Jean. Iris just smiles at their foolishness, unlike Jean that was ready to drag them both on the dirt, but he was stopped by Iris' gentle hand over his shoulder.