𝐢𝐢 | paradis island

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

IT'S BEEN FIVE HOURS since the Warriors arrived at Paradis Island, and Iris feels like she will lose it at any time now.

Commander Magath was generous enough to come with them to the island and drop them off at the port, also known as Heaven's Gate.

It was the place where Marley would send off Eldians to become Pure Titans as punishment for breaking their laws.

It was a port, actually. From one side, you could see the ocean, and from the other, there was a beautiful, wide sandy field that almost seemed endless to the eye.

From that point, the Warriors took on their journey to Wall Maria on their horses, riding until they reached the green landscapes and the forests.

The beauty of Paradis struck Iris' eyes. She had never seen trees with such a rich, green, or rivers with clear and fresh streams of water. She wondered, if the island is supposed to be evil, how come it was so beautiful?

But of course, she kept her admiration to herself to avoid problems.

They came to a stop an hour ago, sitting in a circle with a fire in the center to keep them warm in the cold night, and the pale moon shinning down at the five kids.

Everyone was quiet, staring at the flames.

"It's likely we'll start encountering Titans tomorrow, now that we're close to the Walls," Marcel spoke up, "but it's still hard to cover ground at night."

Iris stares at him for a second, then shifts her eyes back to the fire. She tugs her brown coat closer to her body. "Let's hope the clouds are better tomorrow."

Marcel nods in agreement.

"What if...," They all look at Bertholdt, who stared at the fire with a worried face, "What if the King refuses to use the Founding Titan, even if we break his walls?"

"There's no use in asking now. Just trust Marley's research," Reiner says with small hint of anger.

Trust Marley, huh? Iris wasn't sure she could do that.

"He's right. We can't turn back now," Marcel adds, making Iris sigh deeply. "Tomorrow, we reach the walls... and then..."

They all knew what he wanted to say. It was the unspoken truth of what their motive is. To destroy the walls and retake the Founding, but they knew they wouldn't be able to do that without casualties.

Just how many people will have to die tomorrow because of them?

But it isn't their fault, right? They were trained to save everyone from the Devils of Paradis. To become heroes. So why would they overthink the mission?

Is it guilt? Pity? Regret?

It can't be. It's what they're meant to do, their destiny. Only they can put things right.

Yes, put things right, Iris thought.

She knew what she had to do to protect her family. And if it meant to destroy an entire island and kill every one of its habitants so her brother can see the sun of every day, then she'll do it.