𝐯 | tomorrow

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

- YEAR 850 -

THREE MONTHS WENT by quickly, and soon, the Cadets were preparing for their graduating ceremony that would take place in a few minutes. Throughout this time, everyone worked hard to raise their marks and make their way up to the top twelve graduates.

But they would only know the results until the graduation ceremony. The next day, after graduating, they will be allowed to choose one of the three military branches: the Garrison Regiment, the Scout Regiment, or the Military Police.

The Garrison's duty is to guard and maintain the Walls, the Scouts handle expeditions beyond the walls and fight against the Titans, and lastly, the Military Police, the personal guard of the King.

But only those twelve top graduates can enlist in the Military Police.

Annie decided to go the MP to be close to the Royal Family and find the Founding Titan, Reiner and Bertholdt made up their minds and choose the Scouts, saying it will contribute to their mission.

Only Iris was left to decide.

She knew she should follow Annie to the MP and help her find the Coordinate. It would be the most rational thing to do. If she went to the Scouts, there's no guarantee she will survive in Titan territory, even if she is a Titan herself.

Even so, something was telling her otherwise.

"Idiots."

Iris turns to the blonde and chuckles. She playfully slaps Annie's arm in a gentle manner, "Don't be mean. Let them have fun while they still can."

Annie rolls her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest, "Reiner looks a dumbass, and don't even get me started on Connie."

The two girls watch Connie attempt to beat Reiner in arm-wrestling from a distance. Reiner was smirking, confident in his strength, whereas Connie was evidently panicking and sweating, struggling to slam Reiner's arm on the table with his both hands.

Around them was a crowd of Cadets, cheering for Reiner, and amongst them were Armin, Marco, Sasha, Mikasa and Eren. They were all supporting Connie, yelling encouraging words, but it was obvious how they were starting to look embarrassed at his defeat.

Iris couldn't help but smile at them, her friends. How lucky she is to have met them and become close friends. She wishes she could be their friend in other circumstances, one where she wouldn't need to betray them at the end of the day.

"Please tell me you're not following those idiots to the Scouts, Iris," Annie says, "It will only lead you to your death, not your way back to your family, and you know it."

Iris' smile fades slowly. She sighs, "I know. I won't, all right? I'll go to the MP with you and find what we came here for."

She couldn't exactly say words like the 'Founding' or the 'Coordinate' around other people. It could bring unwanted attention to them and compromise the mission they have been lucky to keep secret for three years.

Annie turns around, heading to the hall the ceremony will take place in, but before she walks away, she says, "Remember who you are, Iris. If you open your heart, it'll only hurt you at the end."