𝐱𝐱 | promises

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

PRESENT
- FOUR MONTHS LATER -

HAVING ESCAPED death (for the millionth time) was sure as hell not going to save Iris from the world's demands. Barely two days having returned from Shiganshina they had her present herself to base, and she could've sworn Commander Magath was about to pluck out her eyes with his pen from how hard he was holding it as he wrote down the report of their failed mission.

And if Magath and the other Marleyan officials were giving her enough reasons to grab a gun and see what happens, Zeke is the one handing her the gun himself to speed things up.

He's been incredibly and ridiculously demanding of her service, sending in envelopes with new targets whenever he wanted. It was as if he was in a rush or in some sort of delay in his unknown plans. In a span of four months , she had already hunted down multiple men, had grasped her hands in precious cargo and valuable secrets, and risked her life for him.

Small favors, he'd call it.

However, Iris wasn't interested in his doings. Her job was only to get her hands dirty for him in exchange of her uncle's safety and to keep her heart from bursting out of her chest. To hold herself steady by a thread. She had promised herself that she wouldn't try to get involved Zeke's games, that she would only do what she needs to do.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

She closes the door behind her as she walks in the infirmary. She stood in the waiting room, which had two rows of wooden chairs a long the walls and across the door was a small hallway. Thankfully, there were no patients at this hour.

At the sound of the door's bell, Simon Caldwell, the town's young doctor appears from the hallway. He was wearing black trousers and a white long-sleeve underneath a navy sweater vest. His brown hair was slicked back with a few front pieces resting on his forehead, and his glasses on top of his head.

She was taken back by how much more attractive he looked without them. What a bad day to sixteen.

Simon greets her with a smile, and Iris notices small dents on his cheeks. Dimples.

"Miss Elvira," he greets, walking up to her for a handshake, "to what do I owe the pleasure?"

She accepts the gesture with a smile. "Dr. Caldwell. I hope I'm not bothering you."

As they let go, he shakes his head. "Not at all. Any friend of Braun is a friend of mine. And I must say, it is quite the relief seeing you alive and well after... recent events."

Though their first meeting was messy and hostile of her part, having just learned of the news that broke her for the rest of her life, Iris soon realized Simon was a very well-mannered and friendly person. He was always at her disposal for anything and ready to greet her with kindness.

Iris sighs. "Thank you. These past days have been rough... I would be lying if I didn't say it'll be hard to adjust to life here."

"Time. It is the hardest but most effective medicine for our pain. Some believe it's laughter, but I believe that with time, we can heal," Simon gives her a comforting smile, but then his eyebrows furrow. "So sorry. In my head, it sounded better... and not at all corny."