𝐱𝐢𝐯 | tell me a secret

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

A WOODEN CEILING was the first thing her heavy eyes caught sight of when they flutter open. She squints them, trying to adjust to the bright light coming from the window, and when she does, confusion hits her.

Iris laid on a bed. A bed that didn't belong to her. The window was beside it and a nightstand below it, a bowl filled with water on top of it. Across from the bed, was a desk and a clothing drawer. She sighs, catching on.

This was no other than Reiner's room.

It was just as she remembered it from when she was a kid. Clean, simple, and zero to no decoration. The first time she came, she thought a grown up used his room because of its simplicity.

He always had thing with having nothing on top of any surfaces, explaining why his desk and drawer have nothing on top. A little strange, if you ask her.

Iris then realizes something weighed down her face. Her hand moves it away, leaving her forehead damp. It was a wet cloth. She must have had fever.

With a groan, she sits up, regretting it as a headache kicks in. She puts the cloth back into the bowl of water. Then, she hears noises.

There were voices outside the room. Reiner's and someone else's. They were getting closer, and soon enough, the door knob was being twisted, letting Reiner come in. A man followed.

He widens his eyes when he sees her awake, an emotionless expression on her face.

"Iris. You're awake. How do you feel?" he asks.

She swallows before speaking, "My head feels like it's going to explode. My fever is gone, though."

"I'll be the judge of that," the stranger says, walking to her. He extends his hand out, only for Iris to slap it away instantly, glaring at him.

"Miss Elvira," he says in a cool tone, "my name is Simon Caldwell. You may call me Dr. Caldwell, and you also must know that your friend called me in to check your well-being."

Dr. Caldwell was a tall, well-built man. He had brown hair, dark eyes with round glasses, and a sharp jaw. He wore black trousers and a white shirt tucked inside, it's sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

In all honesty, he was good looking. It made her wonder his age, as he was younger compared to all the creepy middle aged doctors in town. Surely, no younger than twenty five.

"Now, if it's all right with you, I'd like to examine you."

Iris bites back a curse, "Of course. I'm sorry for slapping you. My mind is all over the place."

"No worries, Miss Elvira," he says, then he turns to Reiner, "Braun, can you pass me that chair, please?"

Reiner turns around and brings him his desk chair. Caldwell drags to next to Iris and sits on it, placing his leather bag on the bed. He takes out a thermometer and looks at her.

"May I?" he gestures at her mouth.

Iris parts her lips and allows him to place the thermometer between them, closing her lips afterwards. He places his palms on her forehead, flips it and takes it back. As they wait, he prepares his stethoscope.