𝐯𝐢𝐢 | dream

NOTE:

I'm so sorry for not posting anything in a while. Life has been really busy lately but a new chapter is here! Please comment and vote, feedback (or anything you want to say) would mean a lot to me! <3

In this chapter, Italics mean the dialogues are set in the past. By the middle and end of it you will read about Iris' memories, so I hope you keep this in mind, in order to avoid confusions :)

Enjoy!

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

EVERYTHING FELT like a blur.

A trip down a memory lane where you fall into emptiness and can never grasp onto an escape. A trance that leaves you staring soullessly at your feet, disoriented and unable to process anything, as all energy is drained from your body.

That's how Iris felt in this moment.

It was hard to believe she was fighting off Titans two weeks ago, swinging in the air and watching humanity die in their hands. And now, she was part of the Scout Regiment, along with everyone except Annie, who chose the Military Police.

They were told to come back to their senses and focus on the upcoming expedition, that they shouldn't dwell on that day. And perhaps they were right. After all, they had bigger things to worry about.

Iris wouldn't like to be the first to die on her first expedition beyond the walls.

Yet, all the events replayed in her mind endlessly.

Bertholdt breaking the wall, being stranded on the roofs, the city burning in flames, Eren coming back from the dead and turning out to be the Attack Titan, how he carried a rock and sealed the wall as Iris and the others fought off the remaining Titans.

Marco's dead body.

And it was all because of her.

As the Garrison and the Cadets worked together to seal the wall, Iris was assigned to exterminate any dangers from the city. She had promised herself to focus on the Titans and the Titans only, yet her concerns would always come back to Jean. It killed her that she couldn't know how he was doing, if he was okay, if he was alive.

Deciding that she couldn't take it anymore until she could see him with her own eyes, Iris told Reiner and Bertholdt she would go and come back shortly, and didn't give the boys the chance to reply as she zoomed in the air.

She remembers her heart racing, its loud beats echoing in her ears and chest. An overwhelming anxiety crippling in her bones, penetrating through and shattering her soul with fear.

Just as she thought the worst happened, Iris had found Jean. He was with his squad.

Alive.

She felt a tremendous weight fall off her shoulders. She was about to head towards him, a sudden need to be near, but knew deep down she couldn't. They were in the middle of a battle, grasping onto any strings of hope for humanity, just barely.

There wasn't time to involve personal feelings.

Just as Iris began to turn around, her eyes caught sight of Connie. He gave her a single nod, and Iris knew she could ease herself. His soft, hazel eyes assured her that nothing would happen to Jean if he's with him, that she should not worry.