Part I : Chapter II

Part One. Chapter Two.

The Lost Princess.

      I sat up straight in bed, staring glumly out the window. The doctor said I was allowed to leave today, but leave where? I don’t remember anything, and the last thing I want is to be alone. The door opened and in came a man who I haven’t seen before. He wore a nice, polished suit and carried a serious expression on his face. His eyes landed on me and stayed there for a second. “Who are you?” He asked.

    “Who are you?” I asked, not wanting to be the first to answer.

     “I am Agent Coulson.”

      “I’m Astryd.”

     A smile formed on his face, the serious expression he wore before now long gone. He sat at the edge of my bed. “How are you doing, Astryd?”

   “I don’t know.” I answered, glumly fidgeting with my fingers, not wanting to make eye contact.

  “Don’t tell me you’re sad!”

   “I am.” I responded with a frown. “I’m alone.”

   “You’re not alone. We may have just met, but you have me, and you have Erik. You’re lost, but you’ll never be alone.” He said, his tone concerned with my feelings. I finally allowed myself to glance up at him. He still wore a genuine smile on his face.  I returned it, slightly. It was more of a half-smile that threatened to complete itself.

   “Do you think I’ll ever be found?”

    The smile faded off of Agent Coulson’s face and he sighed. “I’m not sure, Astryd. Hey, don’t frown. When I was a kid, my mother used to tell me a story about a princess who on her way to a ball got lost in the dark forest, because another princess was jealous of her and used magic to get rid of her. The lost princess faced many obstacles in the forest that night, but she fought through each of them. Even though she thought she was alone, she wasn’t. The animals that hid from the darkness of the forest saw her fighting, and they soon joined her and gave her company. Her family worried over her, and her father sent his knights to go find her. When they did, she had grown fond over the forest animals and didn’t want to leave them.”

      “So what happened?” I asked, interested to know if the princess stayed or left with her family.

    “She had to make a big decision, but she chose both. She left with her family, but she always returned to the forest, the place that had given her strength.” Agent Coulson finished.

    Hearing the conclusion to his story, I felt better. I had a flare of hope that was daring to ignite. It was all I had left. Hope that I would be like that princess and soon find my family, but when they do find me, would I want to leave?

    “You’re never alone, Princess.” He murmured, nicknaming me. I smiled brightly in appreciation of my new nickname. I loved it. The door opened and in came a man all dressed in black wearing an eye patch, who gave me the chills, alongside Erik. Agent Coulson got up, sending me a nod that I returned. Erik took his spot.