Part II : Chapter XV

Part Two. Chapter Fifteen.

The Other.

                “Father?”

            He stopped, glanced up, saw that it was me, and immediately shoved the papers he was looking over into his manila folder. I frowned. What was so ‘top’ secret that not even I could know about?

            “Do you need something, Dear?”

            “Yes. I need you to have some rest. You have heavy bags under your eyes, and ever since you started on this project, you’ve been stressed and I’m just wor-“

            “I’m fine.” Erik assured sending me a smile to prove his words, but I saw right through it.

            “No, you’re not.”

            I narrowed my eyes at him and then the manila folder as he held it close to his chest. His smile faded away and he sighed. “Astryd, I don’t have time for this.”

            “Then, make time. Please! All I ask of you is to relax and rest for a moment. I just want my father back.” I pleaded. It’s hard not spending time with Erik anymore. We were so used to it just being the two of us. These past few days that he’s being working on his so called 'project', he’s been changing, drifting further away from me. He’s not the Erik Selvig I used to know, and I fear that there will come a day when I will lose him.

            “I’m sorry, Astryd.” He said as he walked past me, leaving me alone in his room.

            I groaned frustrated as the door shut behind me. He’s not sorry. Slamming the door behind me, I made my way towards the training room where I knew I could find Natasha or Clint or both. I need a distraction, something to let my frustration out on. On my way, I bumped into Agent Romanoff herself and Steve.

            I raised an eyebrow at her attire. She wasn’t wearing her usual cat suit. Instead, she wore a simple black dress with black tights and black high heels. Her hair was also slightly curlier than usual, and she was wearing a little make up. It was a sight I’d never seen before.

            “Training is canceled for today. I have something to take care of and Agent Barton is helping Director Fury with their project. If all goes well, I’ll be back for tomorrow’s session.” Natasha said.

            “I can help you train today,” Steve offered, and then quickly added, “if you’d like me to, of course.”

            “I’d appreciate it.” I told him, accepting his offer. I then turned back to Natasha. “Good luck.” I said, knowing that she definitely didn’t need it. She isn’t called the Black Widow for nothing. She flashed me a quick knowing smile before nodding to both Steve and I and heading down the corridor.

            “So where do you usually train?” Steve asked as he followed after me.