Part II : Chapter XVII

Part Two. Chapter Seventeen.

 The Avengers Initiative.

             Fury stood in a dark room. The only light coming off of the massive screens in front of him that projected the images of the council. "This is out of line, Director. You're dealing with forces you can't control." One of the councilmen said.

                "You've ever been in a war, councilman? In a firelight? Did you feel an abundance of control?" Fury replied.

                 "You're saying that this Asgard is declaring war on our planet?"

                 "Not Asgard. Loki." Fury clarified, making it clear that Asgard had nothing to do with this. As far as he knew...

                  "He can't be working alone. What about the other ones?" The only woman in the council questioned. "His brother? His sister?"

                   "Our intelligence says Thor is not hostile, but he's worlds away. We can't depend on him to help. Astryd still thinks her brother is dead, and does not even know about what we've doing with the tesseract. It's up to us." Quite frankly,  Fury was a bit tired of dealing with people and objects from a different world. He knew it was his fault this was all happening, but he reminded himself of the reason why he did it. It's because of people like Loki.

                   "Which is why you should be focusing on phase 2. It was designed for exactly this." The councilman in the middle spoke up, moving his hands with every word.

                  "Phase 2 isn't ready. Our enemy is. We need a response team."

                "The Avengers initiative was shut down." One of them said, rejecting the idea again before Fury could speak of it.

                 "This isn't about the Avengers." Fury lied.

                "We've seen the list." The councilman defended.

             "You're running the world's greatest covert security network and you're going to leave the fate of the human's race to a handful of freaks? Especially to Astryd, who does irrational things when emotionally unstable?"

            "I'm not leaving anything to anyone. We need a response team." Fury repeated once again, trying to get the message in their thick skulls. "These people may be isolated, unbalanced even but I believe with the right push they can be exactly what we need."

              "You believe?" The woman sneered.

           "Was isn't won by sentiment, Director." The middle councilman reminded.

            "No, it's won by soldiers."

**