Part II : Chapter XXXV

Part Two : Chapter Thirty-Five.

 Come Home.

        "Can I at least shower first?" I asked, staring after Stark and Thor who both seemed rather eager to go out and eat. The others followed them, but they too, trailed a little behind. We must look so out of place. A group of worn out people walking in the middle of the ruins of Manhattan's streets in search of a Shawarma restaurant. 

       "It's just right around the corner, come on." Tony said over his shoulder. With a sigh, I trailed behind him and joined the others. Steve and I walked next to each other. Tony soon joined us, his attention directed towards me. He opened his mouth to speak, but I beat him to it.

            "I misjudged you, Stark. I'm sorry." I apologized.

           "I'm sorry, too." Steve agreed.

           Tony half-smiled. "Thor told me what you did...Thank you."

        "Hey, that's what friends are for, right?" I teased, smiling. My stomach began to feel uneasy and my skin seemed to boil. I glimpsed at the hot, blazing sun and was more than eager to get out of its way.

         "Don't push it, Smurfette." Tony grinned, snapping my attention back to him as he patted my shoulder. He then quickened his pace, leaving Steve and I behind confused. 

            "Smurfette? I don't understand. What does that even mean?"

**

          Word was just received that Loki has been locked up again in a better prison. Better for them, not Loki, I assume. The way he looked at me, the way his green eyes stared into me horrified, haunted me. Not wanting to think about it any longer, I shook the thoughts away.

        Everyone seemed to be at peace now or at least trying to be. Thor devoured the food he ordered in content. Steve, who sat next to me, was sleeping in an uncomfortable position. Natasha and Clint ate their food silently, occassionally sneaking glances at each other. Tony leaned back in his chair, staring off into space, while Bruce munched on his food. As for me, my plate was left untouched. I still felt as if I was burning up.

        "Are you going to eat that?" Thor asked with a mouth full, pointing towards my plate.

         I shook my head, shoving my plate towards him. Thor stared me down. "Are you well?"

        "I feel like I'm boiling up." I murmured tiredly, resting my head in my hands. "Maybe if I just close my eyes..."

       The snow whirled around violently in response to the chilly, unbearable wind. The sky was dark and gloomy. A cold, uninviting atmosphere. No one but a frozen figure was in sight.