Part I : Chapter VI

Part One. Chapter Six.

High School.

10 years later

    It’s been ten years since the incident at Willowdale’s Plaza. The second incident to be marked down onto my life. To this day, no one knows that I remembered what happened that day perfectly. If anyone, especially Fury, would to know that I remembered, they’d no doubt lock me up in a special room so I could be tested on. That creature was from another world and he came for me. I don’t know exactly why. Ever since we moved into this small town in New Mexico, things have been calmer and peaceful. Erik had to resign from his position as professor at Culver University, and began to mentor Jane with her studies. She had moved here about a few years ago right after she graduated college.

      Today was August 26th. Also known as the first day of school for the new school year. I sighed as I glanced out the window to catch a glimpse of a yellow school bus driving down the road. All these years, I’ve seen it pass by and wonder if I’d ever get to go to school again, a public school. I knew I blew my chance at going to public school years ago, but being home schooled is very isolating.

   I sensed Erik’s presence, and from the faint window reflection, I could see that he stood behind me a few feet away. “Such a pity that I could never attend public school as those children have done…,” I trailed off, dramatically sighing.

   “It’s not too late.” Erik replied, snapping my full attention to him as I turned around to face him. The years got to him. His hair was now almost all white with a few random strands of brown, his eyes had more bags under, he had gained a few more pounds, and his face grew wearier.

  “I am eighteen years of age…?”

      “I’m eighteen years old,” he corrected, and when I raised an eyebrow confused he added,” It’s the common way of saying it.”

     My eyebrows furrowed as he puzzled me further. He has never been the one to correct me- unless I had actually pronounced a word wrong- or comment against what he calls my ‘formal’ speaking. On the contrary, he has been encouraging me to continue to talk the way I do, even if it’s outdated. It may be outdated, but it’s formal and respectful. Then, it struck me, the realization clearly showing on my face as my jaw dropped.

   Erik smiled. “If you are going to attend public school, you must know how to fit in. Your generation isn’t too fond over different.

    Different. I grimaced at the word, and fortunately, Erik didn’t notice. All my life I have been different. The way I am has led me to a conclusion that I am not normal, not human. What normal human turns blue? What normal human turns a creature into ice?

   “When do I start?” I smiled at Erik, a bit eager.

**

   “So, what are you doing this week?” Jane asked with Darcy by her side. We had driven all the way out into the nearest city to go to the mall. Erik encouraged me to call Jane and Darcy earlier to go to the mall and other stores, so I could get everything I needed for school. School. The word still sounded foreign to me.