Part II : Chapter XIX

Part Two. Chapter Nineteen.

In Germany.

                “Agent Selvig!” Fury called out, forcing me to stop in my tracks. I turned around and raised an eyebrow at him. Why was he wasting time? Natasha was already gone, preparing the hover craft for us and Steve was suiting up, and here I am still not even changed.

                “There has been a change of plans.”

                “What do you mean?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. It’s only been a few minutes, and there wasn’t really a plan other than to get to Loki before he could do harm.

                “He wants you to find him, not us.”

                “Okay…,” I trailed off, not knowing exactly where he was going.

                “In other words, I am allowing you to use your powers to get there quicker and try to reason with him before we step in. You will borrow one of Agent Romanoff’s dresses for this.” Fury said and then dismissed me.

              My eyes lit up at his new plan, and I couldn’t agree with it more. I wanted to be the one to see him first and talk to him, without an audience. Rushing to Natasha’s room, I grabbed the first dress I saw and changed into it. The dress was long and a dark green, fitting me a bit too tight for my liking but I had to push that aside. That didn’t matter.

               A soft knock interrupted my process.

              “Come in,” I called, glancing towards the door. It was Steve.  I smiled at him, taking in his red, white and blue form fitting suit. He raised an eyebrow at the dress. “Fury wants me to try and reason with Loki before you and Natasha show up. He thought it’d be better if I dressed up for the occasion.”

                Steve’s expression fell and he nodded. “Of course he would.”

              I glanced down at his hand which held his shield, his knuckles white since he was gripping it tightly. “Is that your shield?” I asked in wonder, trying to lighten up the mood. Steve nodded, showing it off to me in a humble manner. “May I?”

            Steve nodded once again and the tip of my fingers lightly grazed the cool adamantium and vibranium metal. I’ve heard all about his shield thanks to Phil. It’s made out of the strongest metal, durable enough for just about everything. “One of a kind,” I murmured and glanced up at Steve whose gaze was on me the whole time. “Just like you.”

            His blue eyes lit up and a small blush crept up on his cheeks as it did in mine. Did I really just say that? He then smiled at me, lightly shaking his head. “You’re special, Astryd,” he mumbled, clearly not knowing what else to say. I didn’t know whether to be flattered or not…

           “Why thank you.” I smiled, curtsying as I did so. Steve chuckled and I laughed. I heard someone clear their throat and I jumped startled. Both Steve and I turned to see Phil standing in the doorway awkwardly.