Chapter 13 - Heart Flutters

The water running echoes in the bathroom as Klaus sinks into the tub. He was home, but at what cost? He had lost his only true love, someone he loved more than he loved himself. The sound of the water sent him into a flashback. Helicopters whir over him, the flashing lights of guns going off. Klaus gasped as he sat up in the bathtub, the water sloshing around him. Streaks of blood on the side of the tub. He decided not to take a bath anymore. He quickly got out and dried himself off, walking back to his room to try and forget about what happened. But not about him. He would never forget him.

Xavion turned the corner, swishing the hair out of his face as he turned the corner, seeing Klaus in his room. "He looks horrible.." He thought. Five walked past him, going to walk down the corridor to his room. Xavion noticed the bloody bathtub and turned back to face Klaus in the doorway. He tapped Five on the shoulder and pointed toward the bathroom. Five leaned back and caught sight of the smearing on the porcelain. He gave Xavion a look of concern, to which Xavion shrugged. 

Five lightly rapped on the door frame to Klaus's room. "You ok?" Five asked.

Klaus turned around instantly, his eyes darting around Five's figure. "Hey, yeah I just.. uh.." Klaus rubbed his eyes with one hand, trying to play off his fear. "..long night, is all."

Five laughed softly. "More than one, from the looks of it." 

"Yep." Klaus responded condescendingly. 

Xavion peeked from behind Five, pointing out Klaus's chest. "I don't remember the.. dog tags." Klaus grunted as he put a shirt on over his wounds. "Yeah, they.. belonged to a friend."

"How about that new tattoo?" Five asked suspiciously. "You know, I don't remember even getting it." He waved Five off dismissively. "Like I said, long night."

"You did it, didn't you."

"What are you talking about?" Klaus looked at Five while he sat down on his bed, promptly holding his head in his hands.

"You know I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus." Five said matter-of-factly. "The symptoms of what?" Klaus responded, annoyed.

Five started listing off on his fingers. "The jet lag, the full body itch," 

"The headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up your nose and into your brain?" Xavion butted in.

"Mhm. You gonna tell me about it?"

Klaus glowered at him. "Your pals, when they broke into the house and they couldn't find you, they took me hostage instead."

"And you stole their briefcase?" Five leaned against a nearby chair. "Yeah. I thought there was money in it, or I could pawn it, you know, whatever—" Klaus let out a heaving sigh. "—Then I opened it." Xavion sat down next to Klaus, letting the older man lean on him for support. "And the next thing you knew, you were.. where?" Five stepped closer to Klaus.

"Or when?" Xavion added.

"Oh, what difference does it make?" Klaus whined. "What diff— uh—" Five threw his arms up, irritated. "Okay! Okay. How long were you gone, Klaus?" Xavion began asking the questions to take the heat off the situation. "Almost a year.." 

"A year?" Five's eyes widened in astonishment. "Do you know what this means?" He asked hurriedly. 

"Yeah. I'm ten months older now." Klaus snorted. "No, this isn't some sort of joke, Klaus. Hazel and Cha-Cha will do anything they can to get that briefcase." Xavion lifted Klaus back up into a seated position and got up, standing by Five.

 "Where is it now." Five ordered.  "Gone. I destroyed it." Klaus made an explosion motion with his hand. "Poof."

"Oh my god." Xavion whispered into his hands.

Five rushed forward angrily. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"What the hell do you care?" Klaus retorted.