𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 | Tighnari

a short bday special for one of my fav sumeru chars <3

( heavily inspired by the official bday posts on yt and the pics that came along w it ! )

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You sit down, back against a tree, the soft, silky grass embracing your sudden comfort on it. The hot sun seems to cradle your body, eager to hug you with the comfort of warmth. 

The rainforest soothes your skin, the refreshing breeze and the nature of the environment giving you a sense of relief. Birds chirping, the rustling of leaves and bushes, the somewhat aggressive turning of pages--

"Sweetwater Mushroom. Doesn't taste how it sounds and looks. Very poisonous. Probably will. . ." The fennec beside you writes on a page, then turns a page, and continues writing with an open mouth.

You smile, recognizing him immediately. You scoot over to him and tap his shoulder, which results in him visibly tensing up and barrel rolling over to create space between you two as a safety measure. His barrel roll was the cutest thing you've ever seen in a rainforest. And that's a compliment considering that you've seen baby foxes and kitsune and many more in one.

"Hello to you too, nari." You smile, and his face softens. "Sorry if I scared you there."

He chuckles, getting up and walking over to you, "What a fantastic observation, y/n. How could you have possibly been able to tell?"

You deadpan, and he sits down beside you. He spares you a glance, noting how "well" you took his obvious sarcasm. "Alright, alright. There's no need to be cranky on my special day, y'know. I was just joking around."

"Uh-huh. Anyway," You give his notebook a look, and glance back up at him, "Any new observations, o' mighty forest watcher?"

He thinks for a moment, then sighs. You don't know whether it was a good or a bad thing.

"Yeah. I guess I found out today that the scientists of the Akademiya are stupid. Stupid enough to wrongfully name plants stuff that they aren't. Look." He hands you his notebook, and you read over the page.

It takes you no more than a few seconds to realize what he's talking about. "A sweetwater mushroom, huh? Based on your scribbles and the description of this plant, it clearly doesn't seem very sweet-looking. Honestly, nari, if I hadn't known any more than its name, I would have probably eaten it." You then project a weak smile as an attempt to calm his facial muscles, knowing how. . . on edge he's been with the Akademiya for years.

You lean your head on his shoulder, a sudden thought escaping your mouth, "But. . . then again, you would have probably jumped in to save me from my terrible fate, right nari?"

At hearing this, he too projects a smile. It's not a big one, but it's reassuring. And that's really all anyone ever needs.

"Yeah. I gladly will." He presses a soft kiss onto your forehead, as if words wouldn't have been enough to send you his message.

You subconsciously lean even closer, your breath close enough to send warmth to the crook of his neck. Shivers are sent down his spine at the feeling.

You release a small giggle, too giddy to think much when you brush your lips against his neck. "Happy birthday, Tighnari. My favorite forest watcher." You manage to whisper audibly.

"Mhm. Anything else?" He manages to say, a light blush on his cheeks.

"I have a surprise for you. Me and the others planned something special."

"Mhm."

"I want a kiss."

"I should be the one asking." He smugly grins. You roll your eyes playfully, before getting up from your position to sit on his lap.

For what seems to be the millionth time already, you lean in towards him, ready to--

"Wait. What's that smell?" He puts you down gently, sniffing around the area. His ears perk up when he sees smoke rising from deep within the Avidya Forest afar, the origin of what's likely a campfire.

"What is it?" You ask, thinking there's some sort of emergency.

He sniffs a bit more, before coming to a conclusion. "Something smells good. . . smells like mushrooms. . . I think it's coming from over there!" He points at the smoke.

A silence falls between them.

This time, it's your turn to sigh.

"Do you remember when I talked about me and the group having a surprise for you? Collei may have been a bit early, but uhm. . . surprise, I guess."