13. Asachin! ( 3 )

This was the first time I was ever going to watch Akihiko-kun play soccer. I imagined it to be more fun-looking and joy-filling, an excited look on Akihiko's face akin to a child. But I saw none of it, and felt none of it here.

Akihiko-kun didn't look motivated-- if anything, he looked as though he wanted to run away.

On the contrary, Sakurai had that same excited grin as before, but with an expectant look in his eyes. He's proclaimed that Akihiko-kun is the person he respects the most, and that his skill was worth all the praise.

Even so, Sakurai-kun himself displayed strong skill, even when just playing around and holding back. So this made me feel queasy inside, I didn't know how this match will go...

 So this made me feel queasy inside, I didn't know how this match will go

" Begin!" A little girl announced.

Possession of the ball began with Sakurai-kun. If I recall, the rules they agreed on were simple: Whoever scores, grabs possession. First to score 3 wins the match.

" Man, I feel so jittery inside!" Sakurai laughs. " It's been a while since we've went against each other like this, Asachin."

Akihiko-kun didn't say anything in response. He simply got ready for defense, in a neutral looking stance, his gaze focused on the ball dribbling between Sakurai-kun's feet.

Swoosh! I gasped when Sakurai-kun moved without warning at an incredible quickness. He tries to dribble the ball to the side, but Akihiko-kun did well in intercepting him there. Sakurai-kun offered a smile, clearly enjoying this match-up before attempting some even more flashy and tricky ball handling. He was getting serious.

" S-So fast...his feet!" Kita-chan couldn't form a proper sentence and I couldn't be suprised. Even I was focused on a sport I knew nothing about, but I can't turn away from it no matter how hard I try!

I couldn't keep track of the ball, I have no idea where it's going to go. It kept alternating between each leg.

Akihiko-kun does his best to react, his agility for response was stunning. I think he had no choice but to react or else Sakurai-kun will breeze through--

Suddenly, Akihiko-kun seemingly oversteps.

" ?! " his eyes widened in realization but before he could fix that positioning, Sakurai-kun breezed right through the opening he let exposed.

And scored the first goal.

" Lucky shot, huh?" Sakurai releases a huff before grinning again. " C'mon, Asachin. Surely you're going to take me seriously this time, right?" He asked.

Akihiko sighs, fetching the ball and kicking it back to the center where Sakurai waited. He received the ball.

" I've been taking you seriously the entire time , Kenji. " Akihiko-kun chuckles before smiling at him, a proud look in his eyes. " You've really improved immensenly since the last time we played together-- maybe even better than me."