20. Lie

Second chapter of the day to make up for my absence! Just one of the many daily chapters to come!

Today was a Saturday, and I was called to the cafe to meet with Mayafumi-san. She was seated opposite of me and with the most serious expression, she stated her desire.

" I want to make Akihiko-kun my boyfriend." She says.

" U-Um....I see...." I responded, uncomfortably shifting in my seat.

Someone save me!

I do not want to be here. Why did I come here? Why didn't I say no?! Do I secretly have a pain fetish or something!

I awkwardly plastered a smile while my hands were nervously shaking the drink.

" B...But why did you....call me here?" I asked.

" Gotou-san, I'm going to ask you this again. And I want you to give me a serious answer." She takes a deep breath before looking deep into my eyes.

" Do you like Akihiko-kun?"

"...."

The events from yesterday immediately began flooding my mind. When I acted as his pillow, when he intertwined our hands, when he....

" I love you, Gotou-san."

Told me he loves me....

No, Hitori. You told yourself this at the time; that you won't believe the words he said yesterday, no matter what. To not hope so much for something unbelievable as that to be true.

But....in the off chance that he says it again....this time without being sick....

" Gotou-san?"

" Y-Yes!" I straightened my back, trying to not make my blush show at this crucial moment. I must be convincing enough; That I don't like him in that way one bit!

" I don't." I answered with another huge lie to add in my record.

" I don't....like Akihiko-kun in that way..." A repeated lie.

" We're just friends...." And that was the truth.

No matter how much I think about it now, it all ends at one single point. A point beyond whatever fantasies I may have of there being an ' us '. That point being the title of platonic friendship.

Since when did being friends with someone give me this much happiness and pain? Why can't I stop wanting ' more'. I should be grateful he even tolerates my existence.....