Kabanata 41

HINDI natuloy ang pag-alis ni Adamas pagkatapos niyang makita si Logan. Sisilip lang sana siya saglit sa apartment bago umalis na naman para puntahan ang isa niya pang target, ang ama ni Adamas Laurien. They may not be one of the people Noa hated after she died, just like Dr. McKinsron, they still played a huge role in ruining Noa and her husband.

But he couldn't do it now. He was more concerned about Logan's actions. Umuwi na si Gonietta kaninang hapon kaya silang dalawa na lang ang natira.

As Logan was preparing their dinner, his eyes watched his every movement. Kahit anong gawin niya, hindi pa rin siya makapaniwala. His Noa took years to finally smile again, but Logan only did it for five days. How could that be?

"Are you really okay, human? You're giving me the creeps." He crossed his arms and leaned against the chair.

Nilapag nito ang Adobo na niluto. "Oo nga. Kanina ka pa paulit-ulit, Mr. Adamas. Hindi ako nagsisinungaling."

"I can see that." Kitang-kita niya sa emosyon nito na nagsasabi ito nang totoo. Pero paano?

"How did you do it? I don't understand." Inabot niya ang tinidor at kumuha ng isang pirasong karne. Nilamon niya ito sabay napapikit sa sarap. "Ah. This really tastes like heaven."

"You're overreacting." Napailing si Logan habang natatawa. "But, anyway, it's not really something so shocking. This wasn't the first time. I've been to different darkest times of my life and what happened to me five days ago was just one of them."

Tumango naman siya. He gestured his hand for Logan to continue while he continued to devour the Adobo.

"I don't actually want people to know about this, but since you're a fictional character, I'll let you take a glance. Don't tell this to anyone." Tinaas nito ang isang pulso kaya napatingin siya ro'n. Hinila nito ang sleeve dahilan para makita niya ang mga peklat na nandoon. The scar on Logan's forearm were cuts. Thin, long cuts.

Napatigil siya sa pagkain. He saw that before.

"These are proofs of my struggles." Gumuhit ang maliit na ngiti sa mga labi nito. "Every mark comes with a desperation of how I wanted to leave this world. Marami pa pero hindi ganoon kalalim ang iba para mag-iwan ng marka."

Tuluyang napako ang mga tingin niya sa pulso nito habang naglalaro sa kaniyang isipan ang nangyari sa kaniyang manunulat. Logan might have done the same. But the difference was, Noa's cut was way deeper--totally sure of meeting death.

"Your world is really depressing, isn't it?"

"It is." Binaba na nito ang kamay. "But you know, whenever I think of dying, it feels great but sad at the same time. I am always reminded of my childhood. Of how I was so free. And I think because of that, I was able to hold on until now. I don't want to fail my little self who looked up to the beauty of the world."

"Why do you have to suffer many times?" Adamas never knew that feeling. He was a villain born with power, and he only suffered twice. When his wife died and when he was defeated by Hamitherion.

"That is we are, Mr. Adamas. Humans are bound to suffer. No matter how many times we try to avoid pain, we will always be caught up with that. So we need to deal with it or else we will be the one to be eaten alive." Nginuya muna nito ang kanin bago nagpatuloy. "That is why and how I learned to cope. Kaya ito ako ngayon, buhay pa."

Bahagya ito natawa sa sariling sinabi siya ngunit siya ay nanatiling tahimik. Tinuloy niya ang pagkain habang hindi inaalis sa isipan ang mga sinabi nito.

He realized another distinction between them. Humans suffer more than them. It was more than painful because they had no power to make a shortcut. Their lives were not woven by the word of a writer which could make them jump to timelines.