ᎧᏁᏋ

Where are your monuments, your battles, martyrs?

Where is your tribal memory? Sirs, in that gray vault.

The sea.

The sea has locked them up.

The sea is history.

The sea is where all life once began, and where life thrives presently. The sea is an array of beautiful colonies all living in harmony. The sea is a place practically untouched by humans, the sea is home to thousands of creatures.

The sea has existed for millions of years.

For millions of years, the tides have connected the sea to the land.

Each culture has its different ways of thinking about the sea, and each culture has different mythologies surrounding it as well, but all overlap when it comes to one thing in particular.

Sirens.

Nearly every mythology has its own version of sirens. While each has different interpretations, the myth had to have started somewhere.

The most popular of which is in Greek mythology. Appearing in the Odessy, sirens are left to the reader to imagine, but are said to have been part woman and part bird.

And inspired by that comes the myth of mermaids. Half woman, half fish. It is said that the myth of mermaids also comes from sailors hallucinating at sea, and thinking the manatees and dolphins beneath the surface were beautiful women leading them to their deaths.

Only they weren't hallucinating.

What the sailors say was real.

There were beautiful women trying to lure them to the depths of the ocean.

Trying to seduce them and drown them.

But while their top half was certainly human... their bottom half was not. The creatures that drown sailors are a hybrid. A creature of both the land and sea. A creature of great mystery and prowess.

Mermaids.

Not just of mythology, mermaids are quite real in this world. Only most don't know of their existence. Most think of them to be like unicorns and to be a thing of fantasy... only unicorns are real as well.

Mermaids are breathtaking creatures that live in vast parts of the sea... but live with the curse of their creation.

It spans back centuries, and hardly any know of its origin, but all mermaids know that they are not naturally occurring. All mermaids are essentially mutants.

They can grow a tail when wet and legs when dry. They can breathe both air and water. Then can swim for hundreds of miles and not get tired. They can manipulate the environment around them. And... their songs can bring men to their deaths.

A sort of stereotype that is quite true for mermaids. It's almost a responsibility, a sacred duty. Passed down from one mermaid to the next.

And even passed down to those who find themselves unlucky enough to join the clan of underwater creatures and surface dwellers. Even those who become mermaids by accident.

But there's only one place on earth where that's possible.

A remote island, disconnected from any mainland, uninhabited by man. An island with dozens of mountains and caves and a vast jungle. An island that houses a pool inside a former volcano, with a tunnel that connects to the sea.

And during certain times... those unlucky enough to find themselves inside the pool of water will undergo the transformation, and will forever be a mermaid.

And that's exactly what happened to Angel.

[ more content coming soon ]