ᏖᏇᎧ

The one named 'Angel' has strayed away from her pod over the years. She was taken in when she first got her tail and now roams the seas all on her own. She swims with no purpose, with the only thing on her mind being survival.

Angel explores the seas, for they are her home. Near and far she goes.

Her eyes have adjusted to the pitch-black world beneath the surface, and while her vision isn't perfect, it allows her to see things most surface dwellers only dream of.

Angel's gorgeous tail allows her to swim fast and far without very much effort. Her lungs allow her to hold her breath for hours, only needing to resurface every so often.

Life under the water is so different than life above it, at least from what she can remember. Angel was not always a mermaid, but the other part of her life seems so long ago, that it's more of a dream than a memory.

But when she does dream, she doesn't dream just about her previous life... she dreams about her mother.

She dreams about how beautiful her mother was, and how much was sacrificed so that Angel may live. Every day and every night, Angel is reminded of who she owes her life to. She's reminded why she must keep going and why she must find a purpose.

For otherwise... her mother died for nothing.

Angel once thought she would find purpose with the pod of mermaids roaming the Central Atlantic Ocean, but they only brought chaos to her peaceful life

Angel once thought she would find purpose with the pod of mermaids roaming the Central Atlantic Ocean, but they only brought chaos to her peaceful life. The mermaids taught her how to lure men to the depths of the ocean. The mermaids taught her how to kill.

They framed it as a sacred duty that all mermaids are bound to, and she bought it for quite some time.

For over a century, Angel became the very thing the pod wanted her to become... a siren. She would pop out of the water and begin a siren song, catching the attention of sailors, hypnotizing them, and bringing them to their doom.

It was something she had to grow used to, but she always felt the pit of guilt in her stomach. Every man she killed stayed with her, haunting her and plaguing her mind, a reminder of the blood on her hands.

Angel is not a violent person by any means, she never wanted to be. It's not in her nature to kill, which is why she ultimately left the pod, becoming an outcast in the process.

And while most of the pod let her be, one mermaid couldn't give her up that easily.

Aya was the one person who Angel actually grew close to within the pod. The elders never truly accepted her, but Aya did. Aya was once considered a sister to Angel, and it was a tearful day when she left the pod.

But one day, after so many years, Aya finally finds her. She finds Angel hiding in her little grotto on the shore, hidden by palm trees from any prying eyes. For a moment, the women lock their eyes and smile together.

And then, practically in slow motion, a large and cataclysmic metallic bird falls from the sky, burning and heading towards the ocean, where it lands right where Aya was floating.

Angel cries out for her friend and instantly dives beneath the water to search for her. She finds the bodies of three humans, who've fallen unconscious and will certainly die if the plane continues to fall into the water. But Aya is nowhere to be found, no matter how many times Angel turns her head and frantically looks.

But she just can't let these innocent people die.

Angel saved three people that day. They woke up on the sandy shores, coughing their lungs out and thanking God that they're alive, while Angel desperately swam and searched for her friend.

She found Aya bleeding out in a bed of coral with a piece of the propeller lodged into her chest. Angel quickly grabbed her and swam her up to the surface, where she pleaded and begged for her friend to wake up.

But she never did.

Aya never woke up.

And Angel only blamed herself and still does to this day... for it's not even the first time she's lost someone she's loved to the surface world.

 for it's not even the first time she's lost someone she's loved to the surface world

 ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦