Why Couldn't You Love Me?

Months passed by and Rhea gave birth to a baby girl. They named her Anisha. Shayari also gave birth to a baby girl who they named Ahaana. Everyone were living happily with the new additions to their family. Aman was changing Ayaan's diaper while Roshni was making milk for him. Ayaan touched Aman's face with his tiny hands and Aman was making funny faces and noises. Roshni saw them and prayed for their happiness to always remain intact. Aman's phone rang and he went to answer it after keeping Ayaan in his play pen. Roshni noticed the change on his face. He looked worried about something but she brushed it of thinking it might be about work.
       That night, Roshni was sitting on the bed waiting for him to come. He entered the room, kissed her forehead and wished her goodnight. He turned to the other side to sleep and Roshni looked at him annoyed. A few minutes later he realised that she was looking at him and asked 'what's wrong? Why are you staring at me like this?' Roshni said 'I should be asking you what is wrong. You've been walking around making these Meena Kumari type expressions all day.' Aman sat up. 'What? I've been making Meena Kumari expressions?' 'Yes you have. Now will you please tell me what's going on?' Aman sighed and took a deep breath before saying 'the jailor from Farooq's prison called. Farooq was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer a few months ago and it has gotten worse. He is going to die soon and his last wish is to meet us.' It took a while for her to digest everything he said. Farooq was a closed chapter of their lives and she didn't want to be anywhere near that man after everything he did to her family. However there was a part of her that wanted to know what he wanted to say. She looked at Aman and said 'tell the jailor we will be there tomorrow morning.' 'Roshni are you sure about this? We don't have to.' 'I want to Khanbaba. I want to hear what he has to say.' Aman nodded and went to make the call.
       The next morning Aman, Roshni and Ayaan went to the hospital to meet Farooq. They didn't tell their family about Farooq as they didn't want to worry them. They entered the room and saw Farooq lying on the bed. He looked very pale and weak. When he saw them he smiled weakly and said 'come in. See God punished me for what I did to you guys.' Roshni asked him 'what do you want Farooq? Why did you want to see us?' Farooq noticed Ayaan who was sleeping in Aman's arms. 'Is this your son?' Aman and Roshni nodded their heads. He smiled and asked 'what's his name?' 'Ayaan' Aman replied. 'Ayaan Aman Junaid Khan just like Roshni Aman Junaid Khan' said Farooq. 'You know there was a time when I used to write "Roshni Farooq Ansari" everywhere. I used to throw coins in ponds and lakes wishing for my dream of making you mine come true. But I guess fate had other plans. It fulfilled your love story while it snatched my love away from me.' 'What you felt for me was never love. If it was you would never have tried to do anything that cause me pain. You know, if you truly love someone then their pain hurts you more than it hurts them. Your actions caused me so much pain' Roshni said. Farooq smiled in a sarcastic way and said 'I know Roshni. I know I have caused great pain and sadness to everyone. Because of me, you lost two years of your lives which you all could have spent making beautiful memories with each other. No amount of apologies can ever rectify my misdeeds. I asked you both to come here because I need the answer to a question.' 'What question?' asked Aman. 'Why couldn't you love me Roshni?' His question shocked Roshni. She thought about it for a few moments and answered 'because we don't choose who we love, it happens by itself. I never knew before that I would end up falling in love with Khanbaba but now I know that we were destined to be together. I know that I am incomplete without him and that I wouldn't be me without him. He is a part of me that I can never live without.' Farooq said 'thanks for answering my question. I'm sorry for everything. I know it won't change anything but still I am sorry. I will pray for you all to be happy and blessed.' Ayaan woke up and started looking around. Farooq saw him and remembered how he tried to take his life even before he was born. 'I- I tried to kill him. I was so blind in my want for you that I tried to take his life.' He kept saying that repeatedly and began crashing. The doctor rushed to him and tried to save him. Aman held Roshni and moved her from there. Some time later the doctor came out and told them that he didn't make it. Farooq Ansari was dead.
       The ride home was silent except for Ayaan making noises. They went to their room and then she cried. Aman hugged her and stroked her hair. After calming down and making peace with themselves they went and told their family about Farooq's death. Everyone decided to try and forget about him and move on with their own lives.