C H A P T E R F I V E

That evening John had picked Franny up in the family car and taken her to the Garrison. The whole pub was singing. And it was strangely amusing. They sat down at the small front of the Garrison. Which was always reserved for the Shelby family. And they all drank beer.

The boys played cards while Franny talked to the new barmaid Grace. Grace had excused herself when she got a look from Thomas. And Franny her smile turned into a sly smirk. But look Thomas shut her off and she just lit a cigarette and sipped her beer. When Grace opened the door the singing was even louder. 'Jesus Christ Tommy, what the hell made you let them sing?' John asked chuckling and chewing on a small piece of wood. 'They sound like they're strangling cats out there.' Franny added laughing and leaning against John.

Thomas was laughing at them.'All right 20 is the play. Come on.' Arthur said bringing the attention back to the game. 'And what made you change your mind, Tommy?' Arthur asked quite curious. Thomas was looking at Grace while she closed the door and the singing died down.' It's about time, Tommy.' John said with an even bigger grin.

'Time for what?' He asked. 'The time you took yourself a woman.' John said to him. 'Just play the bloody hands.' Tommy said while picking up his cards. And Franny and John exchanged a smirk. 'You stay the way you are, Tommy. Remember what Dad used to say.' Arthur said. 'Fast woman and slow horses will ruin your life.' Both Arthur and John almost sang. To which Franny looked confused and almost hurt.

When suddenly lights were approaching in front of the Garrison. 'Coppers.' John said. 'no.' Thomas said he exchanged a look with Franny. Who nodded and she jumped up and through the door. Which left John and Arthur confused. The doors went open and the singing went down. Franny was switching dresses with Grace. Leaving her in the more waitressy look then her own corset dress.

'Go home Grace.It's going to end nasty.' Franny said pulling her hair pin down making her hair fall on her shoulders. Grace didn't want to go. 'If you want to live and work here a bit longer you go home now.' Franny demanded. She pushed Grace almost out of the door and she walked back up to the bar of the Garrison. Where a few men with guns had walked in. All the sounds had died down.

'Holy shit it's Billy Kimber.' Harry the owner of the Garrison said. Franny stood next to him. 'We need to get everyone home.' Franny said softly. He looked down to the smaller Franny and was confused for a second but he knew Thomas played games sometimes. Billy Kimber entered the Garrison. He looked just as awful as Franny could remember. He was small and his mustache was not making him look any younger.

'Is there any man here named Shelby?' Kimber asked.No one answered. So Billy Kimber pulled his gun and shot up (thankfully) 'I said is there any man named Shelby?' he asked again. Everyone had ducked down from the sounds of gun.When the door of the side room opened. And Thomas walked out. Fastly followed by Arthur and John.'Harry, get these men a drink.Everyone else go home!' Thomas demanded.

Everyone quickly went outside leaving just the men of Kimber, the Shelby men and Harry and Franny. They put a table in the middle making Kimber sit down on one side and the Shelby's on the other side. Franny came put with a bottle of whiskey and glasses and poured everyone some. 'Kimber sat down on one side and his advisor on the other side. When Franny reached them Thomas, John and Arthur saw Kimber look and before he could stretch out a hand John was already ready to throw a fit. But Thomas spoke up. 'Fran, that's enough thank you.'