.14.

Club Baroque

Sean, Charles, and Juan were in deep conversation. Sean told his friends all about Mr. Lion, keeping to himself the strange feelings he felt towards the young man. The trio went for low-proof cocktails as they do not want any chances of getting drunk or suffering from a hangover the next day.

They were brainstorming to figure out the person's identity. They even got hold of the guest list, but couldn't find a thing.

(incoming call, to Charles's phone)

He picked up the call, it was from Mr. Mark Ming Jue, Juan's older brother.

"Yes ge, I'm well... he is with me. We are about to leave. I'll tell him... sure, you too take care."

Juan pouted, "is that, my brother? why he is calling you, not me?... they always call you..."

Charles sighed, "When they call If you at least respond once,  then I don't have to do this... you know"

Juan feeling a bit gloomy, "My family is quite proud of you, my 'cast-iron' brother trusts you... you are like a perfect son for my parents, which I'll never be to them... but you know what...I'm fortunate to get you as my brother too... "

"You are spouting nonsense..." Charles feels the pain, "Stop being mushy Jili...I'm just somebody sheltered by your family... just an adopted member... there's nothing more to it"

Sensing the conversation was getting in the wrong direction, Sean raised his hands, "Hey, hey... both of you... shut it okay... what's with this family drama and stuff..." he sighed.

It was getting late, as their phones were frequently beeping, and they decided to call it a night.

"Are you coming home, Yao?" Juan asked Charles.

Charles replied with a gentle smile, "No, not today... I'll stay in the facility... tell Mom, I'll come over this weekend."

"Ok, do as you wish... see ya, bro, and you too buddy"

They left for their respective places bidding bye.

.

.

.

Charles parked his car in the parking lot for resident doctors. 

He is the co-owner of the facility and stayed in one of the residences allocated for doctors.

He was about to enter inside suddenly he felt someone's presence alerting his senses, and the footsteps were coming closer and a familiar bergamot scent wafted in the air. 

Charles stood still without turning, "Why are you here ge?... aren't you supposed to be at the party?"

"I just wanted to see you...." said the man with a yearning tone.

"Kuan ge, please give up... you know it well... we can't..." Charles said without turning back.

"Won't you at least look at me, Yao?... You know everyone wished us the best of luck with the new venture... but I wanted to hear it from one person the most... You." He hugged Charles from behind and lowered his head to rest on his shoulders.

Soon the fragrance of bergamot enveloped Charles. How much he wished to savor this warmth forever, to turn around and embrace him back. This man never ceased to love him since high school. But he can't, he shouldn't. 

They stayed like that for a long time, taking in each other's warmth and standing in silence.

Henry's phone started buzzing, He looked and picked up the call, without letting go of Charles.

After the call, he said to him his voice was crystal clear " Yao, as long as I'm alive... You are the only one for me... I don't care about what others say... I'll wait till you take the courage to hold my hand..."

He planted a gentle kiss on the top of his head whispering " Love You... Goodnight" and took his leave.

Once he could no longer feel the scent of the man, Charles quickly entered the house closing the door behind him. His whole body went limp, and leaning on the door, he broke down completely.

He wasn't heartless, he loved the man, but love between them would never be accepted.

Keeping aside from the fact that he is a man, the dignified Wang family would never accept him, a disowned and illegitimate child as the life partner for their future Heir. He mumbles with teary eyes "Love you... Love you...Kuan ge" and drags himself to the nearby sofa and drifts into sleep.

.

.

.

Sean lay comfortably on his bed, holding the fragrance bottle 'Ruhe', slowly savoring the smell. The smell is indeed comforting but also invokes inexplicable feelings in him.

He was very much drawn towards that young man. In the past Twenty-Seven years, he had never even once felt this way about anyone.

In his past frivolous years, many flirted with him, but he brushed them all away cleverly. No one moved his heart. He didn't feel anything for them.

Juan, at times when he was annoyed, would even call him 'Loveless

"Get a grip, Zhan, you are Twenty Seven not Seventeen for Godsake..." he scolded himself.

He dabbed the scent a little on his forehead and kept the bottle safely in a chest on the bedside table. 

Slowly the intoxicating warm fragrance enveloped him, gradually lulling him into a sweet slumber.