.23.

The next day Sean woke up rather refreshed. One of those days when you want to do something different and exciting and go beyond the wall.

He checked the time, pretty early, still dawn. Finished his morning routine and went down to the outdoor seating area near the kitchen.

Mrs. Xiao hummed a retro melody while arranging the flowers. Sean went towards her and greeted her with a hug.

"My bunny is up early... oh... you are glowing... anything you wanna tell your mother?"

"Nothing special ma" he sat beside her and started to trim the branches.

Mrs. Xiao impatiently asked, "So how was your date, yesterday?"

"Da...date? what are you talking about, ma?... I'm not dating anyone." Sean defended.

"Well, yesterday night you were late and a kindhearted person had dropped you home"

"Ma, it was just a friend."

"When did my son start letting others drop him off?"

While Sean pondered on a suitable answer, his mother asked, " Is he older than my bunny or younger?"

"Ma...", his mother ruffled through his hair softly, " I don't mind the gender, as long as there is Love."

 "He is younger than me, from abroad, and here on a two weeks business visit. I'm just showing him around as he is unfamiliar with this place on a friend's request... that's all."

"But you seemed to like his company." 

"Yeah... I don't know, but I feel quite comfortable around him... It's strange."  shaking his head vigorously, "ma, don't ask more, I'm not clear about  all these myself."

Mrs. Xiao finished the flower arrangements and with her signature warm smile, "Shall we go  set the breakfast?"

Sean nodded and followed her in.

Soon, Mr. Xiao and Jay joined the breakfast.

During breakfast, Sean declared that from today onwards he would like to drive again. As he would be joining Lanling after next week, it would be more convenient. Which gained a shocked expression from his family. 

After the traumatic incident, Sean stopped driving altogether. His favorite red Mini Cooper convertible, which was a gift from his grandfather on his 18th birthday, lay in the garage for the past 8 years.

His family was happy and relieved at the same to see such an initiative from his side.

He took out his Mini from the garage, which was well-kept, and did a warmup on their family's long driveway, before taking it out on road.

After noon, he got ready for the Lanling meeting scheduled with Chen. The thought of going back to the place itself brought bitterness to his heart. He started to feel insecure. 

Suddenly the thought of Leone, comforting him during the party, flashed through his mind. He took out the carved box from his bedside table, picked up the precious crystal bottle, and held it near to his nose. The mild smell wafted from it made him feel relaxed. He placed the bottle inside the jetted pocket of his jacket, feeling more than grateful to Leone.

With a final check on the mirror, Sean stepped out of his room. He enjoyed the familiar exhilarating feeling of driving, he used to love going on solo trips to his favorite places.  

.

.

.

Lanling Research HQ