019.

"fuck!" ethan messed his hair out frustration, his two consecutive shots missed. as if, he didn't scored three points five times in a row barely four minutes ago.

it's eight in the evening and he requested to stay in the gym and train more. whether he likes it or not, he can't help but to worry about everything. be it his studies, his game, or jake.

ethan knows that the pres notices that he's been avoiding him. it wasn't his intention though, he just thought he'll mess up if ever he dumps his frustration at the younger. and he doesn't want that, so the plan is to fix his attitude and behavior first before he makes contact with jake again.

there will be times when he'll question his skill, ability, self and all, today is just like any other day he had this week. chaotic, yet calm. the same thoughts were playing in his mind except that it's getting to him more.

exhaustion washed all over him. he couldn't find the strength to hold himself standing firm so he lets his body fell to the floor with a loud thud. his elbow hitting the hard ground first.

as he lied down he catched his breath and wiped the sweats on his forehead using the back of his hand.

basketball has always been something that ethan loves to do. he finds joy in it. he finds peace and he finds himself. the court is where he belongs. basketball is his forte, it's something you can't take away from him.

lying down ethan's mind wander. and before he knew it, there were tears streaming down his face. and the worst part is he wasn't even aware that he was already crying. his mind was too busy thinking of everything and nothing at the same time. 

and that's how jake found ethan.

as the president of the student council, jake has to make sure no one violates the law. he does his random night rounds to check if there are students doing punishable things such as vandalizing, gang fights, or even something unholy.

jake turned left and suddenly halted when he noticed the gym's light were still on. he entered with his brows furrowed while checking out the whole gym, he almost thought no one was there if he hadn't heard a faint sob. and there he saw a ball and a person lying few meters away from it.

he knew the figure too well, he can tell who it is just by his hair but he carefully took steps closer to it just to make sure.

"ethan..." jake softly called as his expression became worried.

the captain gave no response, jake dropped to his knees and held the former by his shoulder and just then, ethan opened his eyes pooled by tears. 

jake was too astonished to say something. he absentmindedly, helped him sit up. though there's one thing he is positive about, ethan is definitely crying.

at last, jake asked, "are... are you okay?"

the captain just stared at jake, trying to form out the words based on how jake's lips moved. and when it finally registered to him, he couldn't hold it in anymore.

ethan surrendered himself to jake. crying loudly like a child.

jake caressed the captain's back as he let him cry. he felt the latter bury his head deeper to his shoulders and that's when he started to run his fingers through his hair. thinking of what could be the reasons why ethan is feeling this way.

he knew him as someone tough, but seeing his condition right now, it'll definitely haunt him.

ethan cried loudly for several minutes until he slowly calmed down, maybe he got tired or he simply got aware.

"what's wrong?" the younger cautiously asked, still in that position.

when he got no response he detached himself from the taller and faced him holding his cheeks as he wipe the tears away, "i'm worried, can you tell me what's happening?"

"i-i'm sorry, jake."

"nah, you don't have to apologize for anything babe." the younger was taken aback of the way he just addressed the captain but he lets it go.

"i'm such a jerk to avoid you just because i can't seem to pull myself together. trust me, i tried to fix myself as soon as i can while solving my personal issues but i failed miserably."

jake sighed, "when you said you were there for me, i appreciated it a lot. now, i feel guilty that you have to go through this alone when you could've told me your concerns from the start."

"i--" there ethan opened up about his concerns and jake didn't fail to reassure him that he's doing just fine and he supports and believes in him. that ash is also there for gab. 

"from now on, i want you to depend on me like how i depend on you. are we clear, babe?"

ethan just blinked and slowly nodded. it's been three days of a hell without jake by his side and it only needed three minutes with him to end his suffering and concerns. well, it was his fault. it was his choice to distance himself from the president as he was scared he'll just drag him into his mess.

then he realized how big jake's impact on him.

the president stood up, held out his hand with a soft smile on his face, "now, shall we go?"

jake offered to drive ethan home and he just agreed because he still doesn't have the strength to do so. he sat at the passenger side after closing the door for the pres.

"wow, just look at you, i didn't think i'd see you wearing my jersey again."

the younger glared, "it's because you dumped all your tears on my uniform, fucker!"

"fucker? you just called me babe twice earlier." ethan teased.

"because you're crying like a fucking child that lost his fucking toy car!" jake defended and drove the car faster than usual.

"easy now, i don't want to be admitted at a hospital."

"if you shut up then i assure you, you'll be home in one piece!"

ethan just laughed at jake's cuteness, it's adorable how fast his mood changes. on the other hand, jake felt relieved to see the captain smiling, laughing even. he knows he's back to his old self, the fun and always teasing ethan.

he felt happy now that he can be with the captain again. he won't deny that he missed him but never in hell would he say it to ethan's face.

the rest of the drive was just peaceful and silent, even when both of them get out of the car. jake stood beside his car and ethan in front of their gate.

"jake."

the younger slightly looked up to meet the captain's eyes, "hmm?"

"i missed you so much." ethan directly said.

it was not what jake was expecting to hear but he liked it better. he closed the distance between them, unfortunately, he accidentally tripped on his own foot. good thing ethan was fast to catch him but it caused something unexpected to happen.

the captain knew jake didn't mean to do that but it still sent him over the moon and he definitely won't shut up about it for a while.